Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got my new dakota, but im wanting to lower this one. Ive got the back lowered and ive tried heating the front coils on the front but it didnt drop any. Dies anyone have any ideas on how to drop the front w/out cutting the coils i want that to be my last resort. Oh yea i want to do this the cheapest way possible, and ride quality dosent matter to me because my old dakota that i wrecked rode like s#!t so im used to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go get some 3rd gen camaro springs (junkyard). It worked on my 92 dakota. I think it was good for 2-inches on a 6 cylinder. Hope this helps

·
Registered
133 Posts
you would rather heat your springs rather than cutting them...thats crazy ass backwards...never ever everevererere heat your springs...thats the worse thing you can do...you can find coils springs on ebay for about $100 or cut them for now and save for your bags or what ever you are planning.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive tried heating my springs and it didnt drop any at all seriously after 1 month it didnt drop i guess ill try that 3rd gen camaro springs trick first then if that dont work ill just buy a kit

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you do go with the 82-92 camaro springs, let me know what it actually dropped and your motor size. I know I did it (years ago) and when I tell people there next ? is how much did it lower it? Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a 5.2 in my truck im hoping to get atleast 2 inches out of it. but my question is are you guys sure that those springs will work. i wouldnt think they wud be the right size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know how much it would lower a V8 but it worked on my V6. If Your gonna try it, get the springs 1st to see what they do (before spindles or arms) Rode like a dream for the lighter V6. I would do it again in a heart beat. If you try it, post pics and #s. What does junkyard springs cost anyway bout 20$

·
Registered
442 Posts
heating your springs is absolutely the worst thing you can do. The will loose their "spring" over time and will be crap in a matter of weeks.

You should only CUT them, and when your cutting them, you should take breaks or at least run water over where your cutting to prevent the heat from effecting the coil.

You have a genuine ******* lowering suspension and if you continues to drive on it look forward to suspension failure...you have one of those suspension that when and if you take it to shop....they are gonna stand there and scratch their head wondering why your still alive from driving it...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes i did try it and it lowered my truck 2 1/2 inches. i definatly lilke the look and ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts