Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the web high and low and can find no pictures or detailed how to's concerning cutting the front fenders on my 01 to accomadate 20's bagged. As im sure you all know anything for the daks custom wise is not easy to come by. I guess if I wanted easy I would hav bought an S-10.
Any of you with a gen 3 that have cut your inner fenders, help. Also curious about moving fuse box, computer, battery and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do most all the work on my truck and can not afford to drop it off and pay someone else to figure it out. Thanx all in advance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
well i beleive everyone can agree that our trucks are nuthin like a s-dime. but anyhoot as far as teh fuse box,battery, and all that stuff that is on top of our fenders. i moved my battery to bed of truck. moved fuse box up just enuff to clear at first but now it is going under dash along with computer and stuff.(bodydroped it and cleaning up engine bay) but as far as that stuff u just gotta move it with some engineering. now to the fun part of cutting fenders depending on ur offset and how close to the edge u are when it starts to tuck up in u might have to trim ur fender lip. i know i did a tiny bit. but on our fenders the inner fender well is all attached (bitch to remove) but i got my faithfull sawzaw out with short blade and a set of good ear plugs. and i just strating cutting where the inner fender well would normally stop on a fender and straight out at bottom of the fender part if that makes any since. i hope that helps and maybe someone else can chime in and give there 2 cents worth.

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything helps thanks, i have thought about buying a new set of fenders and cutting them up so if i ever need to ill have the stockers. I have also thought od getting some small round bar and match the curve of the lip, weld it to the inside of the lip for strength and then I can trim most of that lip off. Did you have to lenthen any of your harnesses? Thanx for the reply.

·
Registered
152 Posts
All my fusebox and computer and what not is in the wiper cowl. The battery is under the bed. Got rid of the harness going across the core support. I know I have a couple pics somewhere. I'll see if I can find them later.

·
Registered
528 Posts
when i first did mine i just moved it straight up and made some brackets for it so the wires was just fine. but know since im moving under dash prolly be to much wire dont know on that yet though. but i think koaticdakota had to add wires to his. just really depends on where u move it. but as far as buying new fenders most of them dont come with inner fender wells from what i seen and heard. but that would require repainting and such. but if that in ur plans anyway then dont see why it wouldnt wurk. goodluck and i hope this isnt ur daily. it took me a full saturday to cut move and rebolt. it was apain for a day of work. my neighbors hated me outside at 8 in morning with sawzaw on a saturday.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You can just fab a new bracket for the parts on top but be ready cause there are lots of bolts to take these things off. what you need to do is push the wheel up in the fender till it hits and measure how much more it needs to go up take you a level and measure down from the top of the wheel and measure the width plus 1" on each side mark the center up top and measure out from there on what you need to cut. Don't cut the lip out either it makes the fenders too weak. Roll them but do it very slowly and very carefully.

·
Registered
460 Posts
cutting inner fenders

I have a 98 RT that has a 4 link, and is bagged, lays frame both ends, I modified the inner fenders, raised the bat and fuse box, done away with the window washer container and built a new one out of fiber glass that would fit and a few other things. If you want call me and we can discuss how it was done. 304 472 6226 is my telephone and my email is [email protected]. you can see pics of my truck at photobucket.com under jimwolfe1, Its a lot of work but its worth it. When you raise the hood, you can't hardly tell that anything was changed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts