Dodge Dakota Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinkin about throwing a 5.7L Hemi and 45RFE transmission for an 2005 Ram insurance write off into my 99 Dakota. Other than having to fab motor mounts and and possible cross-member, what other issues have others doing similar work had to deal with. is there a swap kit out there for this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A wiring nightmare.....

It's been done a couple times.... there are at least 2 writeups over on Dakota-Durango.... I'm pretty sure both guys are quite active over there too if you have other questions
Well im also pulling the ECM and engine wiring harness from the Ram and put it into the dakota, i believe that porting over the Ram ECM should make it easier, the only trouble will be wiring the Ram harness into the Dakota dash.

·
Registered
138 Posts
yea there was a guy that did it to a yellow dakota, as far as wiring I think the only real snag was that the pre 01 dakotas have a different guage cluster wiring, so I think he swapped in an 01 guage cluster, and I think I remember some drive by wire deal that he ran into, if I find the link I'll shoot it up here

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
CDOM April 2009
2,743 Posts
use the dakota dash, but use the ram guages... just pull the cluster from the ram dash, make a mold and then put the mold into the dakota.

i think that would be pretty sick and it would save time with the wires and everything too

·
Registered
138 Posts
and you'd get the white face gauges :cool:

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
It's not the engine harness that's the problem is tying it in to the rest of the truck and getting everything to work.... IIRC 97-00 daks use a 3 wire bus system.... 01-04 trucks have a 1 wire bus

HemiDak had a bunch of CEL's... not sure if he solved every single one of them or not

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
The idea has been done before, and it is a great swap to do, that being said, it isn't the easiest swap in the world. If you are careful, and can get all of the wiring from the Doner Ram, it should be accomplishable with the right tools, and help. Keep us posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts