Dodge Dakota Forums banner

21 - 40 of 243 Posts

·
Admin .. Serious business
2,302 Posts
OK ... a little info for ya all concerning DDM's HID's and the problem this person was having with his HI/LOW not working. This was going on a 2001 Dakota BTW.

(Monday, Feb 1) I didnt send my message correctly the first time on Thurs or Friday, so I resent it today over lunch. I got an email from them at 2:30 with some troubleshooting diagrams to verify my wiring, but they said if it still didnt work, then I could send it back for a replacement controller. I also asked about upgrading to the 55w ballasts. They said I could do so if I wanted, I would just send my 35w ones back in exchange for the 55w, but it has been over a week since I got them and that is their deadline. I asked if I can still do it since it has only been a week and 2 days. I'll let you know what I hear.

I don't know why I went with the 35w ones. To tell you the truth, I guess I didn't know what the difference was. I kinda still don't. I assume that the 55w ones would just be brighter?!?

(Tues. Feb 2) Ok, I talked to DDMTuning’s online tech support and they said that Dodges (Ram excluded) require DDM’s Error Code Eliminator-3 kit when you get the hi/low kit. The computer will not allow the high beams to turn on because there is not enough draw from the HIDs. This is the case for the 35w and 55w kits, so make sure you add this to your list when you buy the kits. It is an additional $20 for the pair, but needed for high beams. I am going to order mine tonight when I get home from work. Also, DDM’s online tech support was VERY helpful!!
He is gonna let me know if the error code eliminator solves his problem. I'll keep you posted on any new developments.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Hey guys, i have these lights but on my motorcycle, not on the dakota, just have the 35W @6000K, the ballasts are very small and the system was very easy to install, very well put together. i have been running them for about 6 months now and any very please with them. Planning on getting them for the truck as well, just waiting to get it out of the bodyshop.

·
June CDOM!!
934 Posts
I ordered the 55w 10,000k ones for my dak also ordered the error code eliminator they are being shipped now ill post pics wen i get them installed

·
June CDOM!!
934 Posts
ok well i installed the headlights today the error code eliminator is still on delivery so i cant post hi/low pics just yet but heres
before

after

driving

low beam

·
CDOM March 2009
1,936 Posts
As in a ricer.
well not quite ricer, they usually have completely blue or green bulbs(and are standard halogen lights).
and the hid kits are still brighter

specs i find are close to:
3000K (Lumen output - 4000 lm) - Golden yellow
5000K (Lumen output - 3250 lm) - White with yellowish tint
6000K (Lumen output - 3000 lm) - Diamond white
8000K (Lumen output - 2800 lm) - White with blue tint
10000K (Lumen output - 2600 lm) - Blue
12000K (Lumen output - 2400 lm) - Deep Blue
while stock halogen is 1000 – 1200 lumens

and another explanation:
Halogen/Xenon maybe 30 Lumen/watt on a really good day.
HID/Xenon least efficient put out about 50 Lumen/watt, most put out ~90 lumens per watt.

·
Photo Nazi/Post Whore
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
All the ricers here have 12k HID not halogens.

And Im sure the visibility with 10k is better than stock. But when you upgrade your headlights I don't see a point in "half assing" it and getting ones that are a little better verse the best visibilty.

Again, not saying getting 10k hid because you prefer the blue color is wrong. I'm just stating my view on doing HIDs. But everyone has their own views and opinions, it's what makes the world go round

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
All the ricers here have 12k HID not halogens.

And Im sure the visibility with 10k is better than stock. But when you upgrade your headlights I don't see a point in "half assing" it and getting ones that are a little better verse the best visibilty.

Again, not saying getting 10k hid because you prefer the blue color is wrong. I'm just stating my view on doing HIDs. But everyone has their own views and opinions, it's what makes the world go round
rich ur just to damn picky. i want to see pink bulbs in that ricer you got sitting in your garage!

·
Photo Nazi/Post Whore
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
yup do bad you dont use the thing! drive that P.O.S!

j/k but seriously dude you gota drive it some time
I did, 400 miles last year! Stupid broken motor :( even so, the year before I put maybe 750 miles on it, and it ran pretty good. I was just a bit busy working on other peoples z's and riding the pitbike. Lol

21 - 40 of 243 Posts