Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
increasing compression ratio for my 87 v6 dakota

i was wondering if i could get info from some of you out there. i was wondering if it would be worth milling down the heads on my 87 dakota and if it is what would i need to do to go along with that ie cams or whatever and if i were to increase compression how much extra hp would that bring to my 3.9 and how much does that cost aprox. any info would be greatful im looking to take the truck off the road and working on it through the winter time appreciate the help

·
Registered
17 Posts
for a 87, that's got a pre-mag motor, and there's not much aftermarket for that motor whatsoever. You would be better off just buying a v8 block and swapping it in the truck if you are looking for more power

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if thats the best way to go then i'll look into it, i just wanted to get the most power without the weight of the v8, and if i do swap i have to look into beefing up the front end. i will definatly do something with the truck just looking for the best route for power with what i have to work with. thanks for the advive i will definatly ponder the v8 swap

·
Registered
17 Posts
1991 and older 3.9's are pre-magnum with the throttle body injection, 1992 they started the magnum motors, and go up to 2003 i think is when they swapped to the new 3.7 motor

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not to sure on the whole magnum pre-magnum thing, all i know is its not fuel injected, it's a 2 barrel carbed engine

·
Registered
92 Posts
How Hard Would It Be To Swap It It Out The 3.9 For The 5.9 V8 I Have A 97 I Was Thinking About Doing It But A Lot Of Work Harness Fuel Pump Etc Has Anyone Done It

·
Registered
361 Posts
yo its prtty easy to do the swap 3.9 to 5.9 or even 5.2 there the same the 3.9 trans will bolt to any of the small block push rod motors the motor mounts are even the same im doin a 5.9 in my 97 with a 5 speed but im throwin this kit that edelbrock makes on it to switch it to carb cuz i wanna shave the engine bay but all you really need is a wiring harness and a ecu let me know if your going to do the swap i have a 360 short block and a wiring harness for sale just make an offer you can even have the stock exhaust manifold intake with all the injectors distributer also have the fly wheel anything i dont use is yours i just dont have heads and a ecu

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that was another question i had, if i swapped out the 3.9 to a 318 would it bolt up to the stock transmission, and with it being automatic would it burn up the transmission any faster. also with the swap all i would have to do is take off the stock fan and replace it wih an electric fan for the 318 to fit correct?

·
Registered
361 Posts
yea man its the same trans i checked the part # from a parts warehouse i use the only thing is you will prolly have to put a posi in it cuz i know with my 3.9 i burned up the one tire so you know your not goin anywhere with a v8 and the fan will fit all you need is a new shroud where are you located

·
Registered
92 Posts
It Sounds And Looks Easy Prolly Like Next Year I Just Want To Finish It And Paint It Then When Im Bored Again Do The Swap That Gives Me Time So I Can Buy Parts Slowly Can I Use The Stock V6 Fuel Pump And Does The Harness Go Inside The Cab And Into The Dash Or Does It Stay Inside The Engine Compartment

·
Registered
361 Posts
umm i think its a two piece harness i have the part that goes in the engine compartment let me know whats up ill give you all the shit for cheep like i said i have a motor and all the trimmings for sale lookin to get less than 900 for it all

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
awsome, i will definately do that would you also be able to get rollpans or other custom products?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
excellent im interested in doing the swap a little after i get my taxes back get back to me and let me know what info you need

1 - 20 of 23 Posts