Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever done it? Or know anyone that has? I expect my hinges to be here by the weekend and I plan on doing some serious work. Just only one small drawback. Not being able to get to behind the fender to mount the shocks with ease, cause as you know the fender setup is all one unit.
It can be done and I will get r done.
wish me luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Friday, I received the hinges. by 11:30, one door is functional and moving. Just needs some more trimming on the fender and then mounting the gas shocks... looks awesome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my opinion, the doors are just fine when it comes to sturdy. I purchased the kit from tunerracing.com.
here is a pic:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey dude i am sooo glad 2 finally c what my truck is gonna look like. Seems like there is plenty of room 2 get in and out, cool ass truck. thanx 4 the pix! did u do the work by yourself, if so, was it hard, and how much were all of the parts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is plenty of room to get in and out. I paid $1000 for the 2 door kit from trunerracing. It came with all parts needed for the hinges. I had to supply some plate (metal) for adding to the truck to mount the hinge to. There just wasn't enough factory metal up under the fender to do much with. It took me about 10 hours total to get it done. That includes alot of looking thinking time as well as waiting for my helper friend to get done working on his project to give me a hand at times. Make sure the hinge does not swing out and hit the fender where you mount it. I learned alot from this one and the next one will go alot smoother. Another thing, I could have made the door open up all the way vertical, but at the point it is now, I can still open up the hood all the way and they don't hit.
Good luck with that if you go for it. Just give yourself plenty of time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
can you take some pics of the inside of the fender where it is mounted to i'm just worried about the 22's in the front and laying out with the bracket

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure where 22's fit up front when layed out. I do know that the curved arm of the hinge doesn't stick out into the fender well. I will get some pics of whatever I can when I get the chance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanx 4 the response. i was looking at some Lambo Kits and I'm pretty handy when it comes to fabrication. So I think I'm gonna custom make them. I really don t know what I'm getting into, but damnit, its worth a try. Other than the hinges, pivotal bidirctional hardware, what other things would i need? Also, from the way i look at some kits, it seems that the door can still extend out even while elevated. How ould I remedy this?. Anyone, please call 901-601-1208 - Kelvin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The kit that I used had a bracket that was curved sorta that you cut to fit where your door opens all the way out where u want it and keeps the door right where it should be as it goes vertical. Hard to describe in words. I will have to snap a pic and post it. This hinge is pretty stout. it has a door sag bolt, a horizontal stop set of set screws, and a vertical limiting bolt. the hinging part of it uses just pins to pivot both out and up. check out this pic. You can see the bracket there in the middle that keeps the door on track as it goes up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts