Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm wanting to get some 20x8.5s, and i was wondering what i can do to make them tuck in the front. the back i was jsut going to pull the bed out just a little. i have DJM 2" drop arms on the front,the my 18s camber in alot. i was thinking, it would camber in enough to clear the fender (i'm cutting the inners out)

dont know if anyone has worked with the DJM arms or not...just need some advice

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you bagged or just static? What is the offset? I have 20x8.5 wheels with +14 offset and my control arms were shortened so the wheels would tuck. The rear I don't think you will be able to just pull the be out some. My rearend is narrowed I think 6 inches and my wheels are about 3/4 of an inch from the fender lip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm bagged in the front...rear is coming soon

the rims are cheap ebay RVMs and the offset is +35...so i guess they wont tuck

·
Registered
31 Posts
yea the camber should suck them in at the last second coming down but u might have to roll the lips on the fenders just to help them a lil... the rear is a lil diff story most people cut down the rears on daks but i cut out the lips and put a panhard bar on the rear on they are close but dont touch. if u have the fender flares that come on some daks u can cut out alot of the lip and the flares will hide it all. but that depends on wut u want to cut. u can get rears cut down with new inners for like 750 it defenitaly helps wish i did that now instead.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can the DJM arms be modified to help tuck the rim?? or would it even be worth it to modify them.

where are you guys getting your control arms?? or are you making them?

so that $750 is for sending the axle off to be shortened and everything?

·
Registered
31 Posts
yea im sure they could be cut n shortened.... i got my djms from aim like 3 yrs ago. and yea theres a local custom off road shop near my place in maryland and they said if i brought in the dry (no diff fluid) and bare meaning no brakes on it they would cut the housing and shorten it and order and install new inner shafts..... .wishin i did it.... think i might still.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got any pics of your truck?? i see the tiny avatar...looks nice...

yea i need to find a place to shorten mine. i might have the djm arms modified. so both upper and lower arms have to be modified. how much should be cut out?

·
Registered
31 Posts
well i didnt cut mine at all..... im just sayin in ur situation u might have to go that way or can go that way.... id try to stay away from that because ull need to shortin the steering linkage as well..... i mean if i were u id think bout diff rims before doin all this modifyin. but yea with the rear its the best way to go.... make sure its a good shop before u have them shortin it.... my boy used some dude outa his garage or somethin and u should see this thing wobble.... we had to go get another rear and all.... yea im havin a prob with my pics some are up in the members gallery and in the 97+ gallery but it will say no thumbnail on it and click on that it will come up.... i gotta crop them and shrink em i think the pixels are to big or somethin

·
Registered
152 Posts
Moser is the best place if you don't have someone local to shorten the rear. Like I said you may be able to get away without narrowing your arms with the higher offset of those wheels. You really need to have whatever wheels your going to run before you go cutting your arms. That way you have something to go by. Then you can narrow only what you need or just a little more in case you get different wheels later. I wanna say mine were around 1 3/8 shorter then stock. Maybe a little less.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey slow_but_low, I see you are in valdosta. I live in Macon and had a local guy do mine. He builds narrowed rear ends for drag cars all the time so he knows what hes doing. He narrowed mine 6 inches. If you are willing to make the trip up here I can get you his number. If 6 inches is enough for you it will be cheaper. He only charged me like $175. One axle is exactly 3 inches shorter, so we just swapped that one to the other side and then cut and resplined the other one. Then the housing is put on a jig and the cuts are made, then welded back up. He works at a machine shop by day and does this at night so it takes him a while to do it, but if your interested, shoot me a PM and I can hook you up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey slow_but_low, I see you are in valdosta. I live in Macon and had a local guy do mine. He builds narrowed rear ends for drag cars all the time so he knows what hes doing. He narrowed mine 6 inches. If you are willing to make the trip up here I can get you his number. If 6 inches is enough for you it will be cheaper. He only charged me like $175. One axle is exactly 3 inches shorter, so we just swapped that one to the other side and then cut and resplined the other one. Then the housing is put on a jig and the cuts are made, then welded back up. He works at a machine shop by day and does this at night so it takes him a while to do it, but if your interested, shoot me a PM and I can hook you up.
i was just in Macon today with a bunch of my s-10 buddies...wish i would have known sooner, would have met up with you.

i'll take you up on that offer when i comes time...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts