Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas i have a 2000 dakota that is bagged and body dropped. ext cab. the truck is right at 18 feet long. wheelbase is like 11 ft or close to it.

i bought a 99 ram 1500 with the 360 in it at a hell of a deal. and know its time to buy a car hauler. any suggestions on what type and where the wheels need to be.

the reason i ask this in some of the ones i looked at the wheels (dual axles) are kinda more towards the back right after the dovetail. and some are more towards the front. im wanting the trailer to haul mainly the truck but i also have a olds cutlass and few friends that i haul cars for on my car dollie i have. so i know the truck can handle it. just curious what kind of trailer some of you guys use?

and any suggestions.

·
Admin .. Serious business
2,302 Posts
I don't have a 5th wheel trailer but I do have a car hauler trailer. It's a 16' lowboy where the wheels are outside of the deck. With 14" tires it's good and low for getting vehicles onto the deck. Two 3500lb axles with electric brakes. Whatever trailer you get invest in a good heavy duty boat winch and weld it on to the front. I can't count the number of times I've had to winch a broken car onto the trailer.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well im not looking for the 5th wheel trailer. just a standard car trailer. i have found a few that is 16ft with it being 14 ft flat area and 2 foot dovetail. i just didnt know if a extended cab body dropped truck would fit on it . or do i need to get up to the 18 ft trailers with 16 flat area and 2 foot dovetail.

as far as the winch i have a small one mounted on the front of car dollie. and my friends car hauler has a massive winch in front but of course he uses his for dirt car racing. so alot of times it gets damaged and wont make it off the track on its own much less on the trailer lol.

but yeah i planned on welding a winch up on mine when i find one.

do you haul ur dakota on it or use the dakota to pull it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I just got a car trailer that has a winch with a line that broke already it was old and probably not meant for what it was being used for. I have to replace it with a winch to haul my car for racing. I need something small but something that can easily carry a load of the car. Someone suggested to me a 2500lbs capacity and is available on Amazon. I just thought of looking for other resources and go to this website that https://motoringcrunch.com/reviews/best-winches-reviews/. There is another one off that which is at 4500lbs capacity. Thinking of which one to get?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts