Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lowering a 2011 Quad Dakota more specifically.

This is my daily driver and I sometimes tow a light trailer. I never go offroad and have no cares to do it. I like a stable, responsive and good handling vehicle regardless of what it is. With that I'm looking to lower my Dakota about 2" on the front, 3 or 4 on the rear to level it out.

So far I've ordered the Lowboyz coilover for the front and am expecting that this week. But I can't find the info I need to make the right decision on the rear. What kind of drop will just the shackles give me? What will the Airbagit axle flip kit give?

For future planning the 2011 Dakota's didn't include a rear anti-sway bar. I'm likely just going to grab one out of a junkyard out of an 05-07 model unless there are some good aftermarket units available.

I'm also considering putting in some airbags to help restore bed capacity after dropping it. What are you guys using, if at all, on the 05 and later Dakota?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Might have answered my own question. Seems the axle flip kit would knock about 5" off the rear. A little more than I cared to go. Ordering the shackles instead.

With that I have a couple of questions for those that have used the coilovers from Airbagit.

1) How is the shock damping on the coilover compared to stock? The stock struts SUCK!

2) What shocks are you using on the rear?

3) I had a 92 Dakota and was able to drop another 1" out of the rear by just flipping the overload spring on the spring pack and clamping it all back together. Does this still work? Could net 3" with shackles and a spring flip doing it this way.

·
"..to punish and enslave"
391 Posts
my 05 has the Lowboyz coilovers up front and I got a set of spring perches from Summit welded under the axle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my 05 has the Lowboyz coilovers up front and I got a set of spring perches from Summit welded under the axle.
How is the shock damping on the Lowboyz units compared to the OEM front struts?

I measured the axle diameter, spring thickness and perch height. Seems the axle flip is about 5" drop on the rear or slightly more. Is that what you found after doing it? That may be a little more than I care to go. Will start with shackles and inverting the overload leaf. Wanting closer to a 2/3 or 2/4 at most.

·
"..to punish and enslave"
391 Posts
it is about 5 inch front and 5.5 rear lower than stock. front bounce is a little harsher due to less distance to travel. rear was bad until I replaced the shocks with ones made for lowered vehicles. I still need to trim or replace my bump stops which will improve the ride a little.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about that Airbagit quality control....

That thing is nearly 10" longer than the OEM assembly. Fully compressed to the same length as the OEM unit leaves just 1" of suspension travel. And I'm wondering about the shock itself. It has NO compression damping. Hopefully this has to do with the design and will firm up after cycling two or three times when driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts