Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
wēk'sôs
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering what the lowest somebody has gone in a 3rd gen being static & with what setup in specs. Like wheel size & etc.

I can't find a forum post so I'm asking this.

·
'98 dak R/T
866 Posts
Do you mean 3rd gen? That's what you have in your dig pic anyways.
I've seen 5/6" drops with c notches but it looks awefully close to rubbing.
Personally I wouldn't go past 3/4 for street ability

·
wēk'sôs
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh snap, I see what you did there. (1987–1990, 1991–1996)
I'm just going off wiki/body style. I may be wrong.

1st gen (1987–1990, 1991–1996)
2nd gen (1997–2004)
3rd gen (2009–2011)

?????? lol

Is there a topic on the gens here?

·
My pop pop's 91
735 Posts
There is a guy on the Custom Dakota's group on Facebook how has a pretty low static dropped 3rd gen dak. His cross member lays about 1/2 an inch off the ground. If you wanna keep any drivability just do a 3/5 drop. It'll be low and still be able to handle good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think at 5" in the rear you'll be pretty close to riding bumpstops. I know i'm at 4, and banging cut-off b/s, but i have a shit ton of weight in the bed.

Jeff

·
wēk'sôs
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for the replies. So I guess I own a 3rd gen? haha

That 3/5 drop seems good but do you guys know whats would be the best setup to get like that without messing up anything?

·
My pop pop's 91
735 Posts
Hanger kit for the rear (or flip the rear hanger and move the front hanger up .5 and inch, this mod is pretty cheap, just cost you labor and grade 8 bolts/hardware) and for the front do some drop lower control arms.

·
wēk'sôs
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Will that affect the carry load in anyway? I use it to carry trans & motors a lot.

I want to have it sit like this guys.
He says its a 3/5 drop on 255/35/20.

I'm really new to this.
Example, lets say I buy:
Front
3″ lowering control arms from DJM
Rear
3" lowering leaf springs from Belltech
2" lowering steal blocks from DJM

Will those combined get me a 3/5 drop?
Then I just use the same specs of wheels he has to achieve the same stance?

·
My pop pop's 91
735 Posts
Nahh it shouldn't. I'd get a c-notch for the frame because you are takin' out the factory rake and we all know what weight in the bed of a truck looks like. Looks like a dump truck lol

·
"MR. Cut & Flip"
1,496 Posts
Will that affect the carry load in anyway? I use it to carry trans & motors a lot
have it sit like this guys.
He says its a 3/5 drop on 255/35/20.

I'm really new to this.
Example, lets say I buy:
Front
3″ lowering control arms from DJM
Rear
3" lowering leaf springs from Belltech
2" lowering steal blocks from DJM

Will those combined get me a 3/5 drop?
Then I just use the same specs of wheels he has to achieve the same stance?

Yea you will get a 3/5 drop with that stuff. If you or any of your buddies have any fabrication experience then you can build yourself a small c notch for peanuts. Go to you local steel supply and dig through their remnant piles and find a peice of pipe or tubing that's 5" or so diameter with a wall thickness of 1/4" and about 6" in length. Then find some plate to plate the inside of your frame rails.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm running Belltech 3" drop leaf springs , 2" WC drop shackle mounts and 3 Hotchkis 1/4" spacers in the rear. The front is harder to figure out. I have Western Chassis front coil springs. I believe they claim they are 3.5" drop but I think they came out more than that! I ended up with less than a finger height clearance with my 27" tall tires! Seemed as though they doubled what my Hotchkis coil springs dropped it. I ended up getting some 1" Belltech spacers to raise the front of my truck backup to a useable level! I absolutely had to install a WC C notch with my set up! I coud get away with the 3" drop springs and some spacers but once I installed the 2" drop shackle mounts it was bang bang city with the axle hitting the frame! I had a 4 wheel drive offroad shop install my C notch at a reasonable price. Word of advice, don't take the stated drop as fact by the manufacturers! I have no pictures on this PC of my truck but its close to that of the red truck in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering what the lowest somebody has gone in a 3rd gen being static & with what setup in specs. Like wheel size & etc.

I can't find a forum post so I'm asking this.
I have an 01 same body style and I had to cut out the front bump stops I got like 1.5 inches frome tire to fender. I'm running 20x9.5 with 265.50s in the front and 295 45 in the rear

1 - 18 of 18 Posts