Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 3.9 started acting really wierd it runs fine most of the time but it's started haveing this strugling sputtering problem you can take off flat on the floor and it barley move and then it starts backfiring in the intake and then goes on can anyone help me with this

·
Registered
361 Posts
yo have you done a tune up or ant thing lately maybe you crossed the wires if not then check to see if anything got unpluged or maybe you have a wire that is burned threw on the exhaust manifold also while its running at idle check to see if it has a rattle or metallc like sound comin from the motor the 3.9 has a real big problem with the timing chain streching there is a technical service bullitin for that at the dealer there is an updated chain and a guid with a chain tensioner in the new kit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i checked every thing when it started even thought i might had got some bad plugs or something so i changed it all out again and it still doing it it really starts it up when i eith turn on the AC or the heater that rattling sound you mentioned does it sound like the lifters pecking

·
Smurf
263 Posts
replace your fuel filter that is the problem you fuelinjection is having trouble pulling the fuel through the filter
replace it it is like 8-12 bucks
if that dont fix it let me know

·
Registered
361 Posts
yea it that is what it sounds like did you pull your serpentine and see if the a/c comp is lockin up maybe oh and the 3.9 doesnt have a fuel filter its built into the fuel pump so to change the fuel filter you gotta buy a pump

1 - 5 of 5 Posts