Dodge Dakota Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A newbie here with newbie questions. First a little background:

I'm the original owner of a '94 Dakota Sport. It's a 2WD regular cab short bed with the 318 Magnum, A518 trans, and 3.90:1 Sure-Grip. Some options I went for were the "bright package", trans and power steering cooler, and sliding rear window. Early on I did a 2"/3" drop with Western drop spindles and brackets. I always wanted to hot rod it a little, but as you know, life gets in the way. That, and in Sept. '08 I got myself a 2009 Challenger R/T six speed and all of my attention (and money) goes to that.

The Dak now has 173,000 miles and mechanically is still great. My only issue is the valve seals need to be replaced, as I'm using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Since I have to go into the engine anyway...

I'd like to do a pretty mild build of the 318. I'm looking for around 1hp per cube crank. I still use it as a truck so I can't go too wild with it.

I see some of you are using the Mopar M1 intake. Do they sell these set up with the injector holes pre-drilled? I always thought it was only for carbs.

What else will I need?

Cam recommendations?
1.7 roller rockers?
Mopar Performance computer?
Bigger throttle body (58mm seems pretty small considering my stock 345HEMI is 80mm)?
Will 2.02" intake valves clear the block without having to notch it? The stock 1.925" valves seem pretty big for 318 cubes.

As for exhaust, where I live since I now drive it less than 5000 mi. a year I don't have emissions testing so I'd like to ditch the cat. Will Dakota R/T factory headers fit this chassis? I'm thinking I might run a 3" single exhaust to a single inlet, dual out muffler.

If I reach my hp goal do you think the stock torque converter will be OK?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for any guidance! :)

Oh, BTW, here's my Challenger :cool:

·
Member of Team Awsome
1,261 Posts
If your already in doing the valve stem seals you might as well put in the .600 lift mopar springs and retainers. If I had to do my cam again I would call comp and get them to grind me one instead of going off the shelf like I did.

The 2.02's will clear the block no problem but depending on your budget you might want to skip a set of the big valve heads and just work the stockers. I ripped my stock heads off this winter and cleaned up the ports and they flowed 25 more cfm with absolutly no porting expierence and a little time.

I installed the ported heads and m1 at the same time so im not sure which is doing what but the combination of the 2 works REALLY well. I had all the bolt ons and the cam before and it was better than stock but its a beast now. Don't let anyone talk you out of an M1 due to "loss of bottom end", maybe on a stock motor but the gains I saw were unreal.

Hands down the best mod tho: mopar computer.. I took mine off a couple weeks back and couldnt believe how much power it drops going back to stock

Your best exhaust setup is probably going to be headers, (summit shortys for 199.99). The stock y-pipe is a HUGE bottleneck get that made out of 2.5 then a 3 inch back like you planned

The 58mm throttle body you have to remember is 2 holes not just one like your 80. I have a 52 on my truck and over a 50 there was a nice improvement, Im going to bore it to 53 eventually and see what happens

Im running a stock converter still and with all of my mods dont have enough if any loss of bottom end that would make me need a comverter, sure it would be faster with one im sure but its stilll completely driveable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was looking for someone who has done these type of mods already.

I considered doing true duals but with the 22 gallon fuel tank all of the exhaust would have to be routed on the passenger side. Thought it would just be easier (and cheaper) to do a large single with dual tailpipes (for looks). If no one makes a 3" mid pipe I'll make one myself.

No too worried about losing much low end. Got plenty of gear already and maybe I'd actually be able to launch the thing with some decent RPM (gotta do something about the wheel-hop, though).

I used to think my Dakota was pretty fast (for a truck). My Challenger makes it feel like the high 14 sec. truck it really is.

I don't have to pull the heads to install new valve seals. This just gives me an excuse to do so! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pics oof the truck?
Nothing much to see at the moment. Just a stock black Dakota Sport with 2/3 drop and 235/60 tires on the stock skinny "Predator" wheels. Sixteen winters have taken their toll too. I'm a painter by trade so I'll be able to spray it myself at the shop I work at for just the cost of materials.

·
Member of Team Awsome
1,261 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was looking for someone who has done these type of mods already.

I considered doing true duals but with the 22 gallon fuel tank all of the exhaust would have to be routed on the passenger side. Thought it would just be easier (and cheaper) to do a large single with dual tailpipes (for looks). If no one makes a 3" mid pipe I'll make one myself.

No too worried about losing much low end. Got plenty of gear already and maybe I'd actually be able to launch the thing with some decent RPM (gotta do something about the wheel-hop, though).

I used to think my Dakota was pretty fast (for a truck). My Challenger makes it feel like the high 14 sec. truck it really is.

I don't have to pull the heads to install new valve seals. This just gives me an excuse to do so! ;)
Thats the reason most just go with a single, because of the gas tank.. not to mention its cheaper:049: You also dont need to pull the heads to change the springs (I didn't initially) but the heads are really where your going to make the power. I did mine basically for the cost of gaskets and fluids

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question for deanler with the sweet Dakota. First of all love it and I am thinking of doing much the same mods the my tuck but how is the drivability with the cam? Did it kill the fuel mileage? Starting in cold weather? And do you run premium?

·
Registered
246 Posts
i run a single glasspack no cats and get complements all the time. done right the single exhaust can sound awesome.

·
Resident Superhero
4,762 Posts
ive got a 3" single exaust (ypipe back) with a thrush muffler, just took the cat out last week, sounds great for a daily, you know its a V8 but it dosnt wake the neighbors
but when you need to go around some idiot on the phone going 10 under the limit... they get an earfull

·
Registered
234 Posts
im runnin ebay headers (they were $140 shipped, and they are t304) through the stock y-pipe with a custom bent 3" pipe to a thrush welded and ive got it routed over the frame (under the bed just where the frame starts to go upwards) and down between the spring hanger and bedside a.d i get compliments on how "healthy" and beastly it sounds

1 - 12 of 12 Posts