Dodge Dakota Forums banner

My Cab Shifted On Frame!

3373 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  pinkfloydeffect

I started loosening up all the bed bolts today when I realized there is no play to shift the bed and the secondary holes are all lined up so the bed couldn't of shifted...then I started looking at the cab mounts. The cab shifted on impact! Not sure how this even happened without breaking chit like the steering column and other things that run in and out of the cab walls:

Here are the rear cab mounts (passengers sides first, then drivers). Look at the gap between the mount and the rusted out cab wedge supports, off by the same amount I thought the bed was shifted by. Are these mounts slotted unlike the bed mounts?

See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
im pretty sure i said somthing in another thread about this. ur shit is fucked up and ur cab looks to be rotted out
its like a 2in diameterr hole for the cab mounts, the middle and washers are the only things solid, everything else is rubber. upper is a round donut and lower is a solid rubber stepped bushing the step goes into the hole

im not suprised it shifted. losen the cab mounts, if they dont loosen then the bolts are stretched/bent. your guna have to lossen the 4 on the cab and the two core support. it looks like its maybe like 1/8"-0.25" max
seeing this truck gives me yet another reason to stay in the south. holy truck rot!
its like a 2in diameterr hole for the cab mounts, the middle and washers are the only things solid, everything else is rubber. upper is a round donut and lower is a solid rubber stepped bushing the step goes into the hole

im not suprised it shifted. losen the cab mounts, if they dont loosen then the bolts are stretched/bent. your guna have to lossen the 4 on the cab and the two core support. it looks like its maybe like 1/8"-0.25" max
this. the mounts dont seem to be rotted which is good but i would replaced the rubbers bushings and check because they rott under the rubber
seeing this truck gives me yet another reason to stay in the south. holy truck rot!
mine has 0 rot mine was never ran in the winter also
it might have always been that way, you just didn't notice it. honestly, you would not believe how many trucks on the road have beds and cabs that aren't lined up from the factory. doesn't matter what brand, they are all like that. most of the time, you wouldn't notice it until you put a cap or lid on and go to line it up. (which is when we usually found it) the robots have progressed to the point of building trucks to the same quality levels as humans. i actually would get enjoyment of showing stuff like that to customers that were a pain in the ass.
my truck is 100% solid not even surface rust on the floor

even justa's truck was lik 90% rust free cab, granted driver floor by the pedals was thin before i cut and modified the floor

both trucks have lived their entire lives within a 40min drive of the original plant they where built at...warren MI
im pretty sure i said somthing in another thread about this. ur shit is fucked up and ur cab looks to be rotted out
It's spotty, cab floor has no rust, a lot of areas are very solid. Those are just the retaining wedges they were paper thin to begin with and provide almost no support.

Your guna have to lossen the 4 on the cab and the two core support. it looks like its maybe like 1/8"-0.25" max
Funny thing is I have no bolts holding my core support to the frame haha I could not get them to line up when I put the new core support in and it was really cold so I said to heck with it for now :rolleyes: I was going to get to it when I replaced my front fenders. It's off by more then that we are talking about a full inch.
This morning I drilled an 1/8" hole above each of the four cab mounts and soaked them real good with WD40 (had it on hand) repeated throughout the morning then this afternoon I tried loosening and with some struggle I was able to remove the rear cab bolts and bring the fronts out 1/2" which is enough. I parked on a slope using gravity to help shift then put a floor jack under each side in the rear of the cab with a 2x4 on each, floor jacks wheels facing downhill and jacked up just 1/8" or less. Me and my grandfather rocked the truck pushing behind the door toward the passenger side of the truck from the drivers side, it did not do much but after a bit of rocking it did move I got it SO close! But now the gap between the cab and bed is 3/4" on the drivers and about 1-1/8" on the passengers. Dammit, so I don't know if I should try moving the bed now I don't think there is much play in the bed :mad:

Now it squeaks worse, I'm 99% sure its the rear cab bushings and if you rock it side to side all you hear is ee-er-ee-er all along the bottom of the back of the cab.
See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.