Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup fellas, I just bought a 00 Dakota R/T with 83k miles for 6,500$, hopefully thats a good price. It has the OEM 15" dakota rims, clear corners, ceramic coated headers, a cheap aftermarket air cleaner, muffler/exhaust tips, and one missing fog light. Other than that its a Red Xtra Cab 5.9 Auto. The attached pic is of my 03 acura CL-s bagged on 20's, 6 speed, more work to do (hopefully Ill finish it before sinking all my ends in the new money pit). I live in Portsmouth VA where Im currently stationed with the Navy.This is my 2nd dakota so Ive been a fan for a while but dont really care for the grill on the brand new one. My last one was a 92 V6 shaved everything, Boyds and dropped about 7". The drop was really cheap cause I used camaro springs and drop spindles and just turned everything over in the rear (took a lot of measuring to preserve the ride quality, but like ya boy said measure 12 times then measure some more then cut hahaha) cost about 200$. Now the important part, the last forum I was on called acurazine.com is a great site, but the people on there are all stuck up lil b!tches. I havent looked at this site alot but it seems as if you all dont mind helping each other, instead of just saying "search you noob" My plans for this truck include more aggresive cam, supercharger, shaved with caddy lights, black paint, alot of sound, 335/25/22 rubber, stroker kit, xenon body kit, HIDs and hopefully some bags later. It took a while but here they are: Why arent more of You Ridin 22s? AND Who makes the best 5" drop that doesnt require blocks? Some sound and a drop are in my right now plans so any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alot.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
nice acura u got and and glad to see u got a dakota and its sounds like a good price dont know the condition of the truck. and as far as helping each other out i can say this site and these members are very helpful. i ahve asked some questions and they came to my help and need. as far as why i aint riding 22s is body dropp and 20s are fine with me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
welcome, nice acura, what are you looking to get out of a system?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had 8 audiobahn (suck) flame 12's in my old xta cab. I got 2 soon to be 4 eclipse titanium 12's and a stinger 10 farad cap (0 AWG) in the car. This time I think im gonna go with 3 or 4 Jl audio 13.5 W7 in the bed like my brothers silverado (24s, caddy front,5 amps) for the weight above the rear axle. Props. How much did you body drop the truck?

Attachments

·
223 Posts
Sorry about that, I forgot the R/T's are already lowered. I believe the 4/6 will give you the drop you want. 2" lower control arm and 2" coil spring (3" lower than your "stock". With the shackle/hanger kit that is going to give you an additional 3"-5" drop over "stock" depending on where you have the spring bolted. It does come with a notch though, its necessity will depend on the amount of drop you choose. Anyone else is welcome to chime in on this with other options.

j

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK truth be told, I need to find my stupid tape measure. Im in a middle of a move. The current tire is a 265/65/15 or 28.56". The next tires I get are 235/35/22 Front or 28.47" AND 335/25/22 Rear or 28.59". I looking for the most possable drop without blocks. Do all the drops online calculate the helper spring in or out? Plus if the rear is a little higher than the front that is good cause later there will be a huge speaker box/subs and possably a slab of marble to help keep the tires on pavement. I know Im not an easy person to help but I do appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Welcome to the site. My first question is why are there 15's on an R/T? R/T's came stock with 17" wheels.
The reason why alot of the Dakota's on here aren't riding on 22's is because a lot of the Dakotas on here are bagged and you have to do major modifications in order to lay on 22's.
For you drop, if you are going to be putting a lot of weight in the rear, keep the back a little higher. You will need a small c-notch with the 5" drop and maybe the 4" drop.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Those are going to be some wide rims. I don't think a 265/35/22 is going to work with that width. The 265/35/22 work best with a 9" or 9.5" rim. I also think they will stick out past the fenders, a lot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I got 265/65/15 now. I want 235/35/22 in the front on like a 7.5 or 8 inch wheel. 335/25/22 in the rear on the 13. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I've got a 335 on a 11" wide rim...might want to consider a narrower rim so it doesn't rub the leaf spring or stick too far out past the fenders. Also mine's got fender flares and the tires are flush with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys, thanks for all the help and thanks to Amber for showing me what a 335 on a 11" looks like. I'm diffently going to go with a wider rim. I decided to get a 4/6 drop so if the weight (later) in the rear is to great I can just pop out the 1" block or even cut it down some to get the look I want. But if anyone has a 4/6 dakota or even a 3/5 R/T on 20's or larger some pics could truly help me. (Please post tire size) If not Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. PEACE

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
You can see in this picture how much clearance I have between the leaf spring and the rim, and with the offset I have the tire sits about flush with my fender flares, sticking out any more would be ugly IMO. And there's definately not 2" on the inside of the rim between the rim and the leaf spring...maybe consider an 11 or 12" rim instead of 13". I've got a 335 on a 11" rim.

another angle

·
Registered
133 Posts
i seriously doubt you are going to get a 13 inch rim back there without heavily modifing some frame or sticking out alot...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts