Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this site a few days ago, ad haven't had a chance to make any posts. I have a 2001 R/T I have had for about 5 years. I can't even remember all the mods, but the motor has everything replaced from the short block up, with a new set of heads and a new comp cam waiting to go in this winter. The suspension is hotchkis, except I just put a front Shockwave system in to get a little better ride. The rear has 20s with stock 17s in front, with BFG 295-45 in back and 255-45 in front. The 20s killed the acceleration, so I have a new auburn and 4.55s to go in. I got my work set for the next few months. I'm in Florida so I don't start work until December and finish up around March cause it gets too hot. The interior is all new, with Cerullo seats and a B&M floor shifter with custom made console. Sub is mounted in the rear under the seat in a custom enclosure. Looks like a lot of really low trucks on this site, and while I prefer high enough to take to the track, they have some really great looking engineering and looks like a lot of people are helping each other out. I posted a few pictures in the album section of the site of the truck.

Mike
2001 FR CC
mmopar0521

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Your truck looks good from the front, i'm not a big fan of the wing though...or the 20's out back with the 17's up front the rake is just too much for me. The interior is kick ass, the white definately looks good there's no way i'd be able to keep it that clean! The B&M install looks very clean, from what i've seen/read that isn't the easiest thing to do while maintaining a factory look. What's it run at the track?

·
Admin .. Serious business
2,302 Posts
Welcome to the site Mike. Your truck definately has that "Pro-street" appeal. How do ya like your shockwaves up front?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shock waves are great. Along with being able to adjust height, the shocks are adjustable so it can actually handle pretty good (that was before the 20s in the back). Install was pretty easy, and I am now contemplating a rear 4 link. Just an issue of time. I have a set of R/T heads in work and a custom fuel system to be able to run bigger injector with the Accel DFI, so the suspension will have to wait.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 20s and big wing were something I am trying to get the old school street rod look. I had it lowered with the hotchkis kit and it handled great, but wanted to go a different direction. Not quite sure I got what I was after, but the spoiler was $20 from a local sheet metal shop, and I needed tires anyway. The biggest issue with the shifter is the console, which I made from aluminum and MDF covered with padding and leather. The shifter linkage is no problem, although the stock B&M bracket needed some work to fit right. I've burned up a shifter cable on the headers, so if anyone wants to try this mod, I can give recommendations on how to mount it and how to route the cables.

·
2,302 Posts
Cool! That's great to hear cause I'm thinking about getting a set of shock waves to start with and doing a 4 link later. You running stock A-arms?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have the stock a arms. All you need to do is remove the nuts welded on for the shocks and enlarge the wholes. I put in new ball joints and bushings, and put some epoxy paint. Guess if you want to go even lower, you could put some DJMs on.

·
2,302 Posts
I won't be going low enough to tuck. My 20x9's won't do it so DJM's are outta the question for now. How much of a drop out front did you get using the shockwaves? I'm running a 3" on coils right now and I'm curious if there's any gains to be had. 4" maybe on the shockwaves?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't be going low enough to tuck. My 20x9's won't do it so DJM's are outta the question for now. How much of a drop out front did you get using the shockwaves? I'm running a 3" on coils right now and I'm curious if there's any gains to be had. 4" maybe on the shockwaves?
I'd say you can get at least 4 with the shock waves. I used to have Hotchkis front springs with about 1 additional coil cut out. With the bags all the way down, I have about 1/2in. clearance to the tire. I have 17X9s in the front and really aren't interested in tucking them. If you move the mount down a little, or shorten the top post, you can get it to set on the tire.

Nice thing is you can put it back up to drive it down the road.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Damn man i never saw this thread till now......that is one sweet ass R/T you got. i love those seats, i just wish i could afford them. i am not a fan of the wing either, but i do really like the rake from the 17/20 combo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts