Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am new to the forum. I have a 1998 Dakota SLT, 2wd, standard cab, long bed, with matching Shell, 5.2L, automatic. I bought it about 3 months ago it had 70,000 miles.

On Wednesday I ran my truck on the dyno for a base run all stock components. Max power at rear wheels 168.2 hp Max torque 232.5. On Thursday I had Edelbrock TES Header to 3inch pipe to a magnaflow Hiflow Cat 3inch to Flowmaster 40 series muffler and a 3inch tail pipe out tucked behind rear wheel no tip.

On Friday night I went out to the local Dragstrip for test-n-tune night. My first time ever on a strip and racing with a tree. My best time was my first pass with a horrible reaction time of .987, (I pulled up to stage rolled a little to far went to put the truck in to reverse and the shift knob broke I ran the rest of the night with my shift knob hanging by the overdrive button wirers.) alittle flustered I managed a 1/4mile time of 17.013 at 81.08mph. I improved my reaction times but developed a exhaust leak, headers need tightened. I am consitantly in the low 17seconds 80mph range.

I will tighten the headers on Monday and then redyno during the week. The next mod is an Airaid cool air intake, and a throttle body spacer. I will have to work on a picture for you all. What is the fastest 1/4mile time for a 5.2 Dakota?

Michael

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
You should be running faster than that. How hot was it and what altitude were you at? I ran a 16.9 with my 3.9 V6 RC 5 speed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Atlitude at the track is 3,296 mean sea level. The temp was low 90s to mid 80s.you have to remember I have street tires a shell at the tow package in the pack. makes 4 heavy truck.

·
Registered
361 Posts
hey i have or had a 3.9 5 speed in my 97 standard cab 2 wheel,, iran [email protected] i think 93mph with headers and exhaust a throttle spacer from airaid a carb filter over the throttle body center force dual friction clutch 235 65 15 tire no posi msd coil and wires i think thats all... i would have your truck tunes up and get a free flow air filter cuz those stock air filter boxs suck ...but not to mention that truck wasnt designed to run fast it was made as work truck so your gonna have to do some engine work like a cam and other things to get it rollin..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts