Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 92 with a 318 in it and I just put in a K&N intake, Flowmaster single in dual out exhaust, crankshaft pulley, shift kit, and already have headers, superconductor wires and general tune up stuff (plugs, cap and rotor, etc) My buddy has a Chevy S-10 SS and he wants to race me once I've gotten all the new parts put in my truck. Is this even worth my time or no? Also I have a future whoopin' for when everything is in, my buddy has a Honda CRX with a 94 Civic V-tech motor in it with minor mods (manifold back exhaust with a folgers can for an exhaust tip, intake and I'm not sure what else) but he wants to run me. He barely beat me before mainly because I was in dire need of a tune up running on a bald tire and giving up ALOT of weight. I'm pretty sure though that when all that is done it won't even be close.

·
Registered
213 Posts
ive beaten an s-10 ss in my old dak.. easy...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I raced a guy with a 350 in a S10 and I left him really bad. He always talked trash but not after that night.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Might want to watch the tuners. I have my fair share of kills (03 Mustang, 68 Vette, 03 Chevey Silverado), but almost got my a** kicked by a Honda. As a matter of fact there was a guy in the town I just moved from that had a Honda Civic that had over 300 horses at the wheels daily driver. That sumbitch was scary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah watch out for the tuner. I raced a crx and ate it up off of the line but toward the end of the quarter he had me by a measly fender. and that is a small distance. but that was with a stock dakota and the crx was all supped up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Might want to watch the tuners. I have my fair share of kills (03 Mustang, 68 Vette, 03 Chevey Silverado), but almost got my a** kicked by a Honda. As a matter of fact there was a guy in the town I just moved from that had a Honda Civic that had over 300 horses at the wheels daily driver. That sumbitch was scary.
I dont worry about tuner cars at all since only 2 cars gave me trouble but they were not street legal. 1 was a gutted civic with a engine swap and a huge turbo that came pretty close and the other was a supra with a single turbo full race car on slicks and skinnies.....got me at the end of the 1/4 mile. My truck is a daily driver and has plenty of kills under its belt.

·
Registered
213 Posts
dude ive beaten so many s-10 ss's theyr not that fast and my truck is bone stock besides exhaust..

·
Registered
110 Posts
What the hell, u guys are all talkin bout how ur kickin ass in ur daks! My best o-60 is 10.6 sec!!! After I hit 78-85 mph it doesnt pull worth shit! Ive got a 99 with a manual 318. Ive got a airaid intake, throttle body spacer and flowmaster catback. Whats the deal, is my truck f**ck*d or r u guys all 'exaggerating' a bit? ; )

·
Registered
213 Posts
ur truck must be fucked because im not exactly sure but my truck 0-60 is aroiund 7 sec. thats just counting urself no stop watch... and from a 70-80 punch i pull pretty hard and hell bopund has a 408 if im not mistakin...

·
Registered
251 Posts
What the hell, u guys are all talkin bout how ur kickin ass in ur daks! My best o-60 is 10.6 sec!!! After I hit 78-85 mph it doesnt pull worth shit! Ive got a 99 with a manual 318. Ive got a airaid intake, throttle body spacer and flowmaster catback. Whats the deal, is my truck f**ck*d or r u guys all 'exaggerating' a bit? ; )
I got a built 408 with forged internals and ported heads and a healthy cam plus im running a Vortech YSi trim race blower and nitrous oxide. Also running a stand alone ecu. Cant really compare our trucks, but sounds like you might have issues with yours. Check everything over and make sure its running properly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Any ideas as to where I could be loosing the power at? I already took it to a dealer for a check thingy. ( I dont know wut tests they ran) My motor only has around 80,000 miles on it, my compression shouldnt be takin a shit yet right?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Any ideas as to where I could be loosing the power at? I already took it to a dealer for a check thingy. ( I dont know wut tests they ran) My motor only has around 80,000 miles on it, my compression shouldnt be takin a shit yet right?
First pull your plugs and see what they look like. You could be running lean or too rich. If the plugs need replacement, get some 3923 Autolites and pull the cap and check the condition of both cap and rotor. Also check cam sensor sync. I ran into a truck that had no power up top and no one could figure out and i found that the sync was way off. You should also check if the catalytic converter is partially clogged. That can be done by putting a backpressure gauge in place of a upstream o2 sensor and running the engine. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the help hellbound, its greatly needed, Ill get to checkin! By the way, ur truck kicks ass, props on ur spank man!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the help hellbound, its greatly needed, Ill get to checkin! By the way, ur truck kicks ass, props on ur spank man!
Let me know what you find with your truck. If everything checks out, do a compression test and a cylinder leakdown. I doubt you need rings at 80k but check it anyway. Also if you are using synthetic oil and leakdown is not good, switch to Rotella 15w-40 oil and check your engine again after 1000 miles. Synthetic oil is great for bearings, but not for rings because it is too slippery and dont allow the rings to seat properly. I use Rotella 15w-40, but you can use any decent diesel engine oil since it contains zinc which has been removed fron conventional oil for gasoline engines.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts