Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have the 02 5.9 R/t club cab.

I want to know if the rear axle is posi traction from factory, or if it is truly something i have to put in. I am going with bigger gears in teh back either 4.10's or 4.56's and if im going to rebuild the rear end i want to do the whole thing. So let me know if posi is somethign i have to add.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It isn't something you Have to add, but you should as it will be worth your while. Eventually your stock LSD will go out and you'll have to replace. Might as well do it all at once. For best bang, go with 4.56's, and add a detroit locker. It will cost a couple of bucks, but you will have the time of your life with the addition of those 2 items.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats the difference between lSD and POSI.....i mean i know posi puts pwer to both wheels at an equal amount.....but whats different and what are the pros and cons of both. i know i want the gears already, i mean im lucky if im getting 10 MPG anyways so its not like gas is an issue

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this something that i can do on my own, replacing the rear with new gears and POSI or even a locker? i mean this is my daily driver and i ahve no clue how long it takes to do this or what the risk is....

·
Registered
56 Posts
so the 4.56's would be a good upgrade is it worth it can you notice that much of a difference

·
Registered
9 Posts
It also depends on the height of your tires, I am running a 275/35/20 and goin from 3.55 to 4.10's I gained Highway and city. Soon to replace with 4.56's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
does anybody know what is the length on
my axle on a 92 dak i heard it was 9-1/4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts