Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove them? I grinded the top off of one and tried to beat it out. Didn't happen, tried to drill it, broke the drill bit. How do you get the rivets out of there?

·
Registered
442 Posts
This, like the rear leaf hangers is no fun job at all. The best way to do this is to buy some diamond hardend drill bits and a drill punch. Drill the rivet completly though and then with a hammer punch them out. Its a gaint pain in the ass and you will get frustrated, i did anyways, but they will come out. If worst comes to worst, air tools with a chisel and a punch will do the trick. When useing an air chisel, make sure you use some spray paint that has rust protector in it to cover the marks you will make on the arms.

Benifits of doing this is it will only have to be done once and then you can change them like nothing with changing just the bolts in the future. If you want to avoid doing that all the time (becuase these truck are famous for tearing up ball joints) get some Moog ball joints from www.rockauto.com They are greasable unlike stock and offer greater benifits for the money over auto zone ball joints. Trust me, ive been there. Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
torch and an air hammer, works like a dream, just keep clear cuz the balljoints could explode turning the actual ball joint inside the casing into a missle...happened to us..but we got it done quick

·
Registered
442 Posts
sounds dangerous and you didnt manage to hurt the control arms??? :confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used the angle grinder and grinded right in the middle of the head of each rivet then used the air chisel to break them off, then just drilled the rest out. I'll be happy if i never have to do it again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts