Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone is looking into replacing their stock amp in their dakota to push better speakers, or a sub but there are ways to make the audio work look stock.

I have a 01 Dakota with the Infinity System in it and decided that I wanted more out of my audio system. I want the audio to sound better than stock, but look stock. After looking at different forums I found that noone had found a way to get an aftermarket amp behind the passenger side kickpanel where the stock amp is located.

I did succeed at placing an aftermarket amp in the stock location and the audio excellent. The amp is a Blaupunkt THA 475PnP.

If anyone has questions about placement, brackets, wiring, and such doon't hesitate to ask.

·
CDOM March 2009
1,936 Posts
more ideas, with some cutting(depending on the amp) there is plenty of room in the CC, mounted vertically beneath the rear speakers. i hid my door speaker amp under the CC seat. and sub amp is just sitting between rear seats and center console. and im fairly sure the alpine digitals would fit under driver/ pass. seats.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have the pictures up by this weekend, since I have the kickpanel off right now.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Yeah I'd like to see it. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here are the pictures of the amp in the kickpanel space. I wish that I had a picture of the amp before it was in, compared to the stock sized amp. Actually if you look up the amp online you should be able to find the demensions. Oh and with the kickpanel on you don't notice anything different, except the fact that the audio sounds better.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Vehicle door Electrical wiring

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Yes, the green plugs you see did not come with it I found those at where I work. Self-wired everything, but you can get a wiring harness for the amp if you don't have the infinity system on it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
basically, still have the original stock head unit in. It was a nice fit. Plus I'll be doing it again, after I trade my 01 Dakota 4x4 for a 03 Dakota 2WD (get to keep the amp). So I'll be putting it in the black 03, probably going to get a picture of it next to the stock amp so yall know basically the size difference.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
k quick question, are the tweeters on their own channel or do they tap off of the 6.5 in the door.
yes the tweeters are tapped into the 6.5s in their respective door. The rear door on my quad has 6.5s as well, but they are on their own channels. Basically the set up is for four channels, but you can bridge them and make it 3 or even two, i believe.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea man i havent even found my amp in my truck. i wander where its at...
i dont see why dodge wouldn't have put the amp behind the kickpanels, unless the interior on a 2006 is drasically different. try looking behind the passenger kickpanel, if not there. look behind the driver's. idk why they would put it there, but who knows. let me know what you find

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was curious as to what connectors you had to have to make this work? Do the stock connectors work or did they come with the amp or did you have to use something else. I was wanting something as "plug and play" as possible. Also did you reuse the stock mounting bracket on the new amp or did you mount it some other way? Sorry for all the questions but this mod could definately be a huge benefit for some people not wanting to "go all out". Thanks for any help given.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was curious as to what connectors you had to have to make this work? Do the stock connectors work or did they come with the amp or did you have to use something else. I was wanting something as "plug and play" as possible. Also did you reuse the stock mounting bracket on the new amp or did you mount it some other way? Sorry for all the questions but this mod could definately be a huge benefit for some people not wanting to "go all out". Thanks for any help given.
Ok I'm gonna try and break each question down seperately so that you don't get confused...

On the stock infinity amp there's two connectors, I believe on does power/ input from the head unit plus constant 12V and the other is for the output to the speakers.
For the Blaupunkt amp (if you DO NOT have the Infinity system), you can buy a wiring harness that plugs into your stock wiring connectors which inturn have connectors that plug into the amp, so that is a direct plug-n-play. Link to list of wiring harnesses: http://www.blaupunkt.com/de/download/PnP_adaperliste_250407.pdf

However, they do not make a harness for the dakota owners with infinity system so you have to do some wiring yourself... if you have the original infinity head unit the amp comes with a connector to plug with Cinch input... if you have an aftermarket head unit with direct amp setup there are plug in terminal for your wires.

Sorry to say, but the stock amp brackets are not usable when trying to place the Blaupunkt amp in the stock amp location. Main reason is dimensions (stock:8 1/8" x 5 7/8" x 1 9/16" , Blaupunkt: 11.3" x 6.3" x 1.7"). I had to get my Dad to draw me up a bracket and he has a machinist buddy which machined out the bracket. Made them out of high grade aluminum. But was able to use the original bolts and bolt holes.

I will be doing the same set up on my new 03 Dakota I'm trading my blue 01 Dakota for. It is an Inifinity system setup. If anybody wants me to, I'll gladly post a thread with instructions and photos of the setup to help if anyone is thinking of this setup.

If you have any other questions or conserns don't hesitate to ask me. I actually enjoy electrical work and will gladly help anyone with any problems. :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok I'm gonna try and break each question down seperately so that you don't get confused...

On the stock infinity amp there's two connectors, I believe on does power/ input from the head unit plus constant 12V and the other is for the output to the speakers.
For the Blaupunkt amp (if you DO NOT have the Infinity system), you can buy a wiring harness that plugs into your stock wiring connectors which inturn have connectors that plug into the amp, so that is a direct plug-n-play. Link to list of wiring harnesses: http://www.blaupunkt.com/de/download/PnP_adaperliste_250407.pdf

However, they do not make a harness for the dakota owners with infinity system so you have to do some wiring yourself... if you have the original infinity head unit the amp comes with a connector to plug with Cinch input... if you have an aftermarket head unit with direct amp setup there are plug in terminal for your wires.

Sorry to say, but the stock amp brackets are not usable when trying to place the Blaupunkt amp in the stock amp location. Main reason is dimensions (stock:8 1/8" x 5 7/8" x 1 9/16" , Blaupunkt: 11.3" x 6.3" x 1.7"). I had to get my Dad to draw me up a bracket and he has a machinist buddy which machined out the bracket. Made them out of high grade aluminum. But was able to use the original bolts and bolt holes.

I will be doing the same set up on my new 03 Dakota I'm trading my blue 01 Dakota for. It is an Inifinity system setup. If anybody wants me to, I'll gladly post a thread with instructions and photos of the setup to help if anyone is thinking of this setup.

If you have any other questions or conserns don't hesitate to ask me. I actually enjoy electrical work and will gladly help anyone with any problems. :cool:

Heck yeah do a play by play. I do have the infinity system. I was trying to decipher what the plugs were in your pictures and by stock pics of the Bluapunkt amp. So which ones are the input from the deck and which ones are the output speakers wires? It looks to be fairly easy. Thanks for you help on this....oh yeah where did you get yours? They are fast becoming discontinued.:mad:

Oh yeah what speakers did you go with? I bought the infinity reference 6022si and they are the most obnoxiously bright speakers I've ever heard! I'm returning them. Thinking of some polk components for the front and polk db coaxials for the rear. I'm going to go listen to some at Best Buy and probably buy on crutchfield.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yeah what speakers did you go with? I bought the infinity reference 6022si and they are the most obnoxiously bright speakers I've ever heard! I'm returning them. Thinking of some polk components for the front and polk db coaxials for the rear. I'm going to go listen to some at Best Buy and probably buy on crutchfield.

I'll have to sort through some paperwork to find where I got the amp. It is hard to say what kind of speakers I have up front, they are aftermarket infinitys but I don't think they make them anymore. When I first put the amp in I had a pair of Kicker SSMB6 (mid-bass drivers=small subs), but I blew a voice coil in one of them. So I took those out and I have Polk db651 pair in the rear. Alot of dakota guys say that the db651s (slim version) are the only ones that will fit the door, but this is not true.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heck yeah do a play by play. I do have the infinity system. I was trying to decipher what the plugs were in your pictures and by stock pics of the Bluapunkt amp. So which ones are the input from the deck and which ones are the output speakers wires? It looks to be fairly easy.
Ok the black connectors that you see in the picture are power/ground (labeled: 12V supply, Remote, Ground).

The green ones that you see are input for the speakers (labeled: front right, front left, rear right, rear left... each of those have a + and -)

Finally the last set of connectors which you cannot see in the picture are the output for the speakers, the connectors come with the amp (labeled: front right, front left, rear right, rear left... each of those have a + and -)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DUNE check on Amazon.com got mine off there. Very hard to find that amp though, now that I remember it is very hard to find when I was looking for it. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
i dont see why dodge wouldn't have put the amp behind the kickpanels, unless the interior on a 2006 is drasically different. try looking behind the passenger kickpanel, if not there. look behind the driver's. idk why they would put it there, but who knows. let me know what you find
nah man i didnt find it anywhere

1 - 20 of 33 Posts