Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
145.7db with one 12" sub
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched, but not found anything exactly like what I want to do.

First off, it's a 98 3.9 single cab. stock at the moment

All I want to be able to do is drag it. And of course, I know nothing about bagging trucks, I have always put lifts on, so this is a complete 360 for me. Is it a good idea to just do a regular drop in the front 3"-4", and then bag the back? I would rather not c-notch it, is that possible (I want 18" wheels but could go 17", I want a decent amount of sidewall) What is the offset I will be looking at on the wheels to get them to tuck? Can someone point out a kit that would suit me? Or tell me what I need to put one together? I plan on using trailer balls to drag with, so I can use a spacer if need be to make them lower.

Thanks, and any help is appreciated.

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
All or nothin baby, with out notching it and being on 17s with sidewall your gonna be several inches off the ground in the rear. IMO it would look funny throwin sparks with the frame and bed several inches off the ground. Good luck tho. Suicide doors makes several good 4 link kits.

·
145.7db with one 12" sub
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the input

So would this kit be the best bang for my buck? http://www.suicidedoors.com/AirRideTechnologiesAirBarKit97-04Dakota.php
It doesn't have to be a direct bolt-on but I figure it would save me some time becasue the truck is my daily driver. So since it looks like I will have to c-notch it, how tall will the c-notch need to be? I realize I could figure it out with the bed off, I just like to know things ahead of time. Would I need to make a tunnel in the cab for the driveshaft with this setup?

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
Good kit if you want bolt on, I have never heard anything bad about it. As far as your notch goes I believe that kit has notches built in. Some one correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
213 Posts
before you drag it relocate ur gas tank or buy a fuel cell, DO NOT buy the gas tank relocater kit from suicide doors it dosent work... my buddy with a s-trend had it on his truck and he still drug a hole in his gas tank... but everything else ive heard nuthin but good from em

·
145.7db with one 12" sub
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
223 Posts
The air ride technologies kit will get you nowhere close to laying anything. It is roughly equal to a 4-6 drop. First, the easiest way to see how much drop you will need to drag is this. Take a tape measure and measure from your frame (or what your wanting to drag) and the ground. Then take that number and measure from the top of the axle tube straight up. That is the drop you will need. Even with a bolt in notch that suicide doors offers I dont believe you will be low enough. The notch is designed for clearence on a 6" rear drop I believe. Good luck. I would have went with an s-10 for simplistic sake if you just want to bag and drag, hell you could probably get away with bag over axle and mono leaf on those trucks.

j

·
Registered
270 Posts
In the back, I would just go with one of the 8" step notcch kits, can get that about anywhere, and a four link from suicide doors. If you want the easiest, get them to make you a wishbone, so you do not have yo relocate the gas tank, just raise it, and a set fo behind the axel brackete. In the front full size chevy cups. Good luck with the rims though, its a bitch to get rims to tuck in the rear, most people narrow the rear, you might be able to get away with some really high offset wheels though. Any way GOOD LUCK! Hope it turns out good for you.

·
145.7db with one 12" sub
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the help from everyone. I figure I can buy everything and include having my axle narrowed for around the price of the kit I was looking at before. Ofcourse less money is better, so I will try and do some measuring and see how much offset I will need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts