Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the plan for now is:
Custom 2 tone paint job. Its going to start with ghost flames and then some of the licks are going to extend which will be the line to divide the 2 colors
Going to do a 1" body lift. Someone at some point lifted the truck so the extra 1" would be mainly for clearance of bigger tires.
Rims we aren't sure. I wanted to go w/ the 20s and agressive tires but its alot of $$. So we might settle for some nice 17s and possibly some beefy tires.
The front is going to be totally custom. Since no one makes clear headlights, i'm going to mold some euro clear headlights and corners to the front. The curve is exactly the same, i'll just have to do ALOT of cutting and welding.
Int.- possibly all fiberglassed and painted the same as the ext.
Seats are going to be removed and replaced w/ leather buckets seats.
System- still haven't figured it out
performance- custom exhaust. going to do dual exhaust put a x-pipe then duals straight back
I'll list more later on
PICS

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is just an idea, i plan on making a custom shaker hood

Started body work- i just sanded that area to bare metal and primed it since its raining
Plan is for a welded roll pan. Just need to find some metal

·
Registered
442 Posts
looks lke a sweet ass project, cant wait to see it finished! Be sure to keep posting pics of your progress!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deff. will keep everyone posted.
What do you think about the front headlights?
Was looking to use 3rd gen dakota headlights but they are too round and wouldn't look right since 2nd gen are pretty boxy.
I just got an idea of a friend but have no idea how it would look. He told me about using 07 escalde taillights since they are LEDs. Maybe its alittle bit too much. They seem to be pretty long. I might just try to find some other trucks taillights that can be fitted. If anyone has ideas please let me know

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they're from a econoline.
Had them from my fathers old van and figured they would be prefect since the curve they have is the same exact one thats on the dakota
I'll keep everyone posted. As of now, i' fighting w/ some rust i found

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
OOO that dam rust is a major pain in the ass iv been fighting it for a while while workin on my truck .primer dosent protect against rust unless theres a good heavy coat on there,trust me found out the hard way and am still havin problems wit it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
deff. will keep everyone posted.
What do you think about the front headlights?
Was looking to use 3rd gen dakota headlights but they are too round and wouldn't look right since 2nd gen are pretty boxy.
I just got an idea of a friend but have no idea how it would look. He told me about using 07 escalde taillights since they are LEDs. Maybe its alittle bit too much. They seem to be pretty long. I might just try to find some other trucks taillights that can be fitted. If anyone has ideas please let me know
the escalade and other LED rear lights are a popular upgrade for rear lights...I think i have seen more caddy light conversions than any, and mainly for that reason, they are LED. I say go for it. Do YOU want man, its your ride, dont go with the flow...unique gets a lot more praise than anything, or we would all be driving S10's...LOL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OOO that dam rust is a major pain in the ass iv been fighting it for a while while workin on my truck .primer dosent protect against rust unless theres a good heavy coat on there,trust me found out the hard way and am still havin problems wit it.
Really?! You have rust problem on yours! I figured it not being too old it wouldn't have rust problems.
the escalade and other LED rear lights are a popular upgrade for rear lights...I think i have seen more caddy light conversions than any, and mainly for that reason, they are LED. I say go for it. Do YOU want man, its your ride, dont go with the flow...unique gets a lot more praise than anything, or we would all be driving S10's...LOL
I'm still not convinced, about the escaldes tails obviously b/c of that EVERYONE has them. Like you said i want it to be unique to stand out but i'm having a hard time finding taillights that would look good and not like if they were slapped on w/ some bondo , you know what i mean.
I was looking for some lights that aren't too roundish since the dakota is boxy.
I'm open for new ideas, so please let me know.

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
Yea the reson for my rust problem is a pos wanna b so called "body shop" that did a quarter on the truck and know were the crapy welds are is rusting along with one other spot were i shaved the antenia which is scaring me cause that is not somethin i want to redo(took a while and is a hard line to make).Also if you convince me i might let you in on a taillight conversion that iv been keepin secrete for a while(as long as you dont mind tuner car lights).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea the reson for my rust problem is a pos wanna b so called "body shop" that did a quarter on the truck and know were the crapy welds are is rusting along with one other spot were i shaved the antenia which is scaring me cause that is not somethin i want to redo(took a while and is a hard line to make).Also if you convince me i might let you in on a taillight conversion that iv been keepin secrete for a while(as long as you dont mind tuner car lights).
I don't mind at all.
Like i said i'm open for ideas and if its going to make it a head tuner and look sweet then i'm doing it!:049:
PM me:trink39:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey, ive got a 99 dakota 5.2L 318 extended cab. I fit 32s on it, clear altezza lights front and rear. Flowmaster catback, airaid intake and throttle body spacer, Alpine deck with one infinity 12. Getin a black rhino liner on tuesday, then powdercoating my stock rims black.

Im planning to put in a jet chip, holley 52mm twin throttle body, gibson headers and a flex a lite electric fan.

I would luv some input on these up coming mods and your opinion on them, im also in need of suggestions, im looking for anything to put on other that a turbo. MORE POWER!

Im also interested in what you said about caddy taillights, how does that work? Welding or cutting required?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks like you have your project set!
W/ the caddy lights...yeah! of course you'll need to cut weld alot to make them fit nicely.
But its all about the customization. Its go big or go home.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i finally started working again on the dakota. I have been super busy with school and work( i have a shop)
So i started to take apart the engine to replace some gaskets and to clean and paint some other parts

cleaned

dirty

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

and just to show what i have been working on lately here are some pics
repainted front end and did custom painted graphics
custom hood
installed 8 tvs

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
Not much into to scion's but that one doesnt look to bad.Whos is it????N sorry about the lights but iv been doin some reascher for a while n all n i cant realy find anything thatl look nice n work well on that body style dak.One thing that im sure will work but not positive is some older square body trucks that ae huge in the scene n have alot of aftermarket lights available.Good luck thow with finding what u want.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm back!!! lol
sorry, been busy and really haven't had time to post.
Well an update of the dakota. I just primed the whole truck today. Still have some body work left but the major work has been done already.
Plans changed alittle from the original plan. Going to stick w/ the stock headlights(not doing the whole conversion thing) was too much fabricating and honestly didn't think it was going to look right. The light are way too big in comparison to the front of the truck. Going to fab up a custom grill so it'll still have some custom work to it.
Other than that the truck should be painted before winter starts, this way i'll have the int. as a winter project.
I'll post updated pics when i get a chance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts