Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever suicided their hood. I need some pointers on how to do it and what kind of materials I would need. Can someone please help. Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
i have never seen that.. i think the only mod sorta like that i seen was some1 made their hood so it would open without the grill being connected but i dont even remember where i seen that

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Karas3434 said:
i have never seen that.. i think the only mod sorta like that i seen was some1 made their hood so it would open without the grill being connected but i dont even remember where i seen that
the guy with the grill mod is a member at dakdur.
As far as what ya want to do to the hood, its going to be a royal PITA!! The hardest part will be modding the grill shell to clear the hood when it opens

·
Smurf
263 Posts
you could try two trunk style hinges just to the inside of the headlights so that they would lift the hood enough to get grill clearance and the look you are going for but i am not sure how much relocating that would require i would avoid puttong hinges on the grill if you can to avoid the stress on the grille because you dont wanna get to a show and pop the hood and have the grill break.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I would say mold the grill shell into the bumper. Then all you will have is the hood to worry about. Make a couple of hinges for the middle of the hood and maybe attach them to the core support. Then use a couple of linear actuators on the sides to lift up the hood. Just throwing out ideas as I am not looking under the hood right now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Naw...i Would Make The Hood Swing Up, Foward, And Down In The Same Motion...not Just Lift Up If You Know What Im Saying. That Way The Whole Thing Will Clear Your Bumper And You Could Have Full Access To You Engine Bay...the Hinge Would Have To Mount To The Front Of The Truck And The Middle Of Your Hood.

·
Registered
92 Posts
u could make a frame that goes around the grill and onto the hood sorta like the factory support but more stronger and mount your hinges to them and onto your core support

·
Smurf
263 Posts
if you need to you can hinge the grille so it will fold the oppisite way of the hood to allow it to stay almost in place when the hood is lifted itwould allow you a very unique look and it would solve the issues you are havin with the grille

·
Registered
442 Posts
Please let us know what you come up with when doing this, i would be really interested in seeing how it works out. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think that would put too much stress on the grill!? Definitley gonna have to reinforce the grill if your gonna try to play like that. Good luck! That Ramsey guy on street source... I don't think that hood is actually connected. I could be wrong but it doesn't look right... it's touching the ground. Check it out, search 1997 dakota should be the top one. I could be wrong he does have more than one pic of it...

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
crazee4420 said:
I think that would put too much stress on the grill!? Definitley gonna have to reinforce the grill if your gonna try to play like that. Good luck! That Ramsey guy on street source... I don't think that hood is actually connected. I could be wrong but it doesn't look right... it's touching the ground. Check it out, search 1997 dakota should be the top one. I could be wrong he does have more than one pic of it...
the hood is attached....its just a bad angle. he is also a member of dakusa, here is a link from one of his posts on that site
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/lowdak97/?start=#imgAnch3

·
Registered
14 Posts
try looking for some mid 80's bmws or some gm cars (delta 88's) to source your hinges for. would probably give you a starting point for that mod.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts