Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so i finally got a raise at work and i decided to start buying parts to bag my dak. I have a 04 QC Dakota with a 4.7L v8 auto. I will be buying parts for the front first along with the air management parts. I am fairly new to this and have talked to a couple of members before about bagging my dak, so bare wit m if i ask the same questions (or dumb ones). Here it goes :confused: .

Question #1
As far as bag cups and plates go, which is better? And i have only been able to find universal bag cup kits and no bolt on ones, are there any?

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP

someone must know what the different options for mounting bags for stock arms

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
For the front I just made cups out of 3.5" or 4" quarter wal tubing. The only thing that sucks if you are using the stock arms is the lower cups will need to be angled, otherwise the bags won't inflate properly. You could plate the arms and bolt the bag to it. Either way will work.

What other questions you have?

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well what kind of arms would ya recommend (besides barn yard), and are there any out there with the cups built in? I can only seem to find the ones from barn yard. Also i am planning on getting a Air zenith compressor, 1/2 line, 1/2 fill valves with 3/8 dump, and a 12 gal tank for in the bed, will that comp be enough for me at first, or would ya recommend two of those (or something else) to begin with? I won't be flipping the switches t h a t much:).

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
That might be a little to much air space for 1 compressor. i usually run one compressor for every 5 gallons of air, but I have only run Viair and firestone compressors. I had DJM 2 " lower control arms on my previous Dak. The pockets were flat, so you could basically buy a set of s10 cups and use them. Others have had problems with DJM arms breaking. I had none.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
admin said:
That might be a little to much air space for 1 compressor. i usually run one compressor for every 5 gallons of air, but I have only run Viair and firestone compressors. I had DJM 2 " lower control arms on my previous Dak. The pockets were flat, so you could basically buy a set of s10 cups and use them. Others have had problems with DJM arms breaking. I had none.
So which two viair compressor have you used or recommend that i run? Or should i just gt a smaller tank, is the 12 gal overkill?
And for the cups, would these work, and would i just have to weld them in.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
djwolf37 said:
So which two viair compressor have you used or recommend that i run? Or should i just gt a smaller tank, is the 12 gal overkill?
And for the cups, would these work, and would i just have to weld them in.
Those cups may work. There is no overall diameter listed only height. I would never recommend welding the cups in. They just sit in there and float. If anything, get some all thread and weld it to the cups so the top pokes through the stock shock mounting hold to keep it in place. Mine just free float. I don't think the 12 gallon is overkill. I have heard good things about the Air Zeniths. i would get 2 of those. The problem with getting one compressor is it may overload the compressor if you play with it a lot. Plus if one ever fails, you still have one pumping air. Whatever brand you get, I would look for a 100% duty cycle.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
admin said:
Those cups may work. There is no overall diameter listed only height. I would never recommend welding the cups in. They just sit in there and float. If anything, get some all thread and weld it to the cups so the top pokes through the stock shock mounting hold to keep it in place. Mine just free float. I don't think the 12 gallon is overkill. I have heard good things about the Air Zeniths. i would get 2 of those. The problem with getting one compressor is it may overload the compressor if you play with it a lot. Plus if one ever fails, you still have one pumping air. Whatever brand you get, I would look for a 100% duty cycle.
OK....so let me see if i understand this right, the cups don't get welded in they just get placed in the control arm and then the bag gets mounted to that. No bolts or welding or anthing? How do i angle the cups it thy just free float (as stated in previous post) Also what size diamiter cups should i be looking for?
colud ya link me to a set of cups that would work for shure.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
You are correct. They just float in there. You can weld a piece of all thread so it goes through the top shock bolt hole to help keep it in place. You only need to angle the bottom cut and I used a plasme cutter and grinder. I made my cups, so I don't know of anywhere that has a set of bolt in ones for the kota. I think the diameter is 3.5" or 4", I am not sure.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, for the control arms....i might be able to get a good deal on them, and wondered if a could just get a set of s10 bag cups to work with these, since ya said they would work for the DJM ones? Have ya ever heard anything about this brand?

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
skrapenframe said:
Do you think a 45 degree angle on that bottom cup would be too much?
don't know if that would work, but to find out the exact angle, just email ridetech. the bottom cups that come with there Coolride system are angled for the stock arms

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good luck with this project, we want pics when your done, I would love to bag mine, but I like Auto X and racing to much...

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brad99rt59 said:
Good luck with this project, we want pics when your done, I would love to bag mine, but I like Auto X and racing to much...
Well what kind of suspension do u you have now....i hear the bag setup from air ride (ridetech) are suppose to give better handling and you get bags....best of both worlds.

And as far as my project goes...it will start when ever i find a set of bag cups to work with my stock upper arms and my djm 3" loweres...i just need some one to tell me that the s-10 cups will deff work

I will be sure to keep everyone informed of where i am at on my project, along with install pics (something that is rare for some reason:mad: )

here is what I am planning on buying on Fri (may 12) let me know what ya think......
air tank (12 gal), 8" notch, two front bags (Slam Specialties RE 200 PSI Single Port), 1/2" upper and 3/8" valves (SMC), single and dual needle gauge for (KP), front bag cups (when i find a set to work), air line (1/2 OD DOT), and a used set of DJM lower arms (for looks), two 1/2" check valve (SMC), and a pressure switch (don't know which one)

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
skrapenframe said:
Minus the the djm arms you have the exact same set up planned that i bought. I went with the square d pressure switch (i'm runnin 2 450's)
so how ya like your setup....if ya could do it all over again, would ya change anything? so do you still have the stock arms...and what kind of cups are you using? And for the pressure switch.....is this the one ya talking about?
and most importantly do ya have any pics of your dak or of the setup you are running?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Id be interested on your setup when you get her done. Let me know how she handles! I currently have the full hotchkis TVS and Custom valved bilstien shocks, about $1400 invested in her and all powdered on top that. I like it and she handles well. The only thing left to do to make my suspension complete is new control arms with bushings....cost about $900 for powdered rebuilt ones and dont have it laying around at the moment...wanna donate? :D

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
brad99rt59 said:
Id be interested on your setup when you get her done. Let me know how she handles! I currently have the full hotchkis TVS and Custom valved bilstien shocks, about $1400 invested in her and all powdered on top that. I like it and she handles well. The only thing left to do to make my suspension complete is new control arms with bushings....cost about $900 for powdered rebuilt ones and don't have it laying around at the moment...wanna donate? :D
well right now i have the hotchkis kit minus the sway bars, so i will let you know if it improves or gets worse than the hotchkis kit.....and sorry no donations man

1 - 20 of 25 Posts