Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I HATE SPAMMERS
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow it has been a busy time for me since OCT. But I finally got to find out some info on my used DAK. One of the previous owners did a flip in the rear (explain please) and put g-force springs in the front. But no one knows just how much it was lowered. It rides like my first 4x4 (77 1/2 ton chevy). I love the look but watch out for bumps in the road. I really want to play around with this truck but WOW the price of stuff these days bite.Any how the first thing I want to do is get the ride and handling as well as possible without any cutting or welding. I want to do as much of the work as I can myself. It will be done in the driveway. So if you have done any suspension work please give me your input.

Also I have 20 x 9.5 (replica wheels) on it now and will need to replace the rims as they are rusting and chrome is coming off. But I am not in the market to spend the over $1600.00 that it would cost to replace the rims that are on it. SO should I stay with 20's or go with an aftermarket 17,18 or 19 inch wheel.

1. I like the low ride but I am not into laying Frame.
2. The faster I can take a turn the better I like it.
3. It may be a Truck but I will NEVER Tow with it, But I might use the BED to haul PLY-Wood or not.

Well give me your ideas and knowledge. After we get the Suspension right then I will work on the HORSE POWER.

·
Registered
140 Posts
if u want a nice ride get the hotchkis suspension kit with sway bars and rear leaf springs and front coils. that will stiffen up ur ride and it should be jsut low enough with those 20's that the handling is mint. really if u want performance and handling u just want to go with a basic lowering kit to lower ur center of gravity. and u wont be too low either. Ground force ahs a nice kit, cheap also, or liek i said do the hotchkis, cuz the new lowering leaf springs that hotchkis has really makes the rear end feel solid, versus jsut getting lowering blocks. you wont have any clearance issues either.

thats jsut my imput, I am the same tho with my truck, Im not in it to drag or nothing i jsut want my R/T to be quick and road worthy for the track.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
For the best ride go with the hotchkis TVS kit. Its pricey, but cheaper than bagging your dak. It will handle better than the other kits. If you want some thing a little less stiff and lower, than I would go with a western chassis lowering arms, hotchkis coils, and a leaf-spring to coil spring conversion in the rear. That will be smother and handle like a dream. The rear coil spring conversion will be great for the track if ya get a set of adjustable brackets.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
has anyone done a coil spring conversion, or is there a site that sells it, im interested now
There is no kit (unless you get a universal one), and there are very few daks with coilsprings. I currently have my dakota bagged, and have my rear setup for bags or coilsprings. Its very easy to convert to coil springs. You just need a 4link and a set of brackets for the coilsprings. I got my brackets from http://chassisengineering.com. They also have very very nice 4-links.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you dont' want to buy new wheels you could prob look into getting yours re-chromed, dunno what it costs but it is more than likely cheaper than buying new wheels, as far as the ride quality, you may need to put in a c notch in the rear, it will require a little cutting and I am sure there is a bolt in available but it is something you can handle in your driveway

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
Ok go to www.suicidedoors.com and click on c-notches and there is a very cheap bolt on c-notch for daks that is of great quality.And a c-notch allows your axel to move up farther because it moves the frame up farther.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
OK looks like I will look into the hotchkis TVS kit. Thanks.

Bagdkota2000: What is an a c notch?

Can someone tell me what a rear end flip is? That is what I was told was done to my DAK.
Is your axle over your springs or under?

Chances are there was no flip kit used on your dak....most trucks come with the axle under the leaf springs. While Dakotas (atleast the R/T's for sure) come with axle over the springs. So someone who was oblivious to this would think a flip kit was used

And a C notch basically changes the shape of the frame that sits over the axles in the rear. so instead of the frame running straight ===== it pops up like a sideways "C" right over the axle ==^== kinda like that. Sorry I don't have a real pic but this aint my PC. It effectively lets the axle sit up higher than it would have otherwise.

It's really simple when you see a picture lol

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
Is your axle over your springs or under?

Chances are there was no flip kit used on your dak....most trucks come with the axle under the leaf springs. While Dakotas (atleast the R/T's for sure) come with axle over the springs. So someone who was oblivious to this would think a flip kit was used

And a C notch basically changes the shape of the frame that sits over the axles in the rear. so instead of the frame running straight ===== it pops up like a sideways "C" right over the axle ==^== kinda like that. Sorry I don't have a real pic but this aint my PC. It effectively lets the axle sit up higher than it would have otherwise.

It's really simple when you see a picture lol
yeah all 2wd daks came with the axel over the leafs. So unless you have a 4x4, you didnt have rear flip.

Here are some pics of a weld-in 8" c notch installed on my QC

This pic shows how after the notch, it will allow the axel to travel further up threw where the old frame used to be.

·
I HATE SPAMMERS
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
OK Thanks for all this info. I do not think I want to do a c notch.

I have an R/T so I guess that means no flip was done so that is a good thing. Now I just need to figure out what they did to lower the rear end.

Does any one have a pic or a link to a pic of a 99 R/T QC stock rear end, so I can see what it is suppose to look like.

Thanks.

·
223 Posts
Probably either de-arched springs or pulled one leaf out, or could have installed dropped shackle and hanger mounts (replaces what the leaf spring mounts too, makes it higher on the frame). I had the hotchkis leafs and coils on my qc before it was bagged. The truck handled like a car. I did not buy the TVS kit because springs alone were $500. Went with drop shocks, but later found out they were the same length as the stock ones. Make sure you grease the bushings on the leaf springs, I didn't and my squeaked. To get the full drop out of the back I would have needed new u-bolts. I only installed two plates on each side and that was at max length for the stock ones (kit came with 4 for each side).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts