Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well when i take off sometimes my tranny will not shift unless i drive it around for about 10 minutes, then it will slowly get better. i think its cause the cold weather but i dont know for sure i hope it is. anyone have a similar problem and how did u fix it, i've used it alot lately, went to searcy arkansas and back, pulled a trailer to houston and pulled my extreme back. is it possible that the trans fluid could have broken down and need to be changed? some days it drives fine and others it doesnt. thanks in advance:D

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
Ummm...... sounds like a bad problem.Try this(if you have a column shifter) wiggle it a little wen you put it into gear, cause i was havin a problem like that before and found out i didnt have it all the way locked in gear.Hope this helped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 98 w/3.9, 3:55 axle and had a similar problem. Dealership said the trans seals were shot and would run $1,800 to rebuild. I took it to a local AAMCO shop and had it flushed for about $100. Then added i can of Slick 50 trans treatment (WalMart - $10). That cured about 90%. The other problem was the electronic shift module on the outside of the trans case (I think this is what it's called). Anyway, it works based on rpms to tell trans when to shift. Local repair place changed it for about $150. Since then, my mileage has gone from 13mpg up to 18mpg. Shift points are much firmer and it doesn't hang up going from 1st - 2nd like before.

I pull a 20' bass boat that weighs about 3,000lb loaded, but have talked to several Dakota owners with the same issue.

Hope this helps!
Al

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys i've thought about each thing yall listed i noticed the orange thing that shows what gear ur in, i noticed its not centered on the gear, and heard that it probably is that electronic shift module from someone else so i guess its worth a shot

thanks guys:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts