Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok as u all know i have bodydropped the dakota and i have put motor back in saturday. the last few nights i out my frontend back on unpainted incase of scratches. but i had 2 problems and fixed one of em but know my transmission tube hits my hood so my question is if i shrorten the tube and as long as i shorten the gauge (what u check thwe tranny fluid with) the same length would that work.

·
Registered
239 Posts
yeah, but it would have to be the same exact space that you deleta on both components, as well as to re-mark the gauge.

Bk

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well fatheadjames if u notice on a stock dakota the tranny checker is close to hood anyway. if u take another 4 inches off of that then when u bend it over it will be flat with top of motor. therefore when u go to add fluid it will not flow into the tranny like it should. and besides i bent it over already and it dont look good. its more of a show truck than performance truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it the original tranny? Even though you dropped your body, it shouldn't stick up higher than your intake. I ran into the same problem modding my 86 Camaro with a stroked 383 truck motor and TH-400 tranny swap. A clump of play-doh on top of the stick ($0.96), and close the hood. Measure the distance on the doh (dent from stick to hood) and cut it from the top of your stick so you leave the original markings on the bottom. You should be good afterwards.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i bought the truck when it had 9,000 miles on it and im pretty sure its the factory tranny. as far as seeign where it hit the hood i had it up on blocks and mounted fenders and hood back up look threw fender well area and marked it.

my motor is 3.9 auto .

but i have it figured out a few weeks ago. and im ready to start it this weekend. all except for one more wiring harness. which im doing saturday. extending wires is a bitch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
just cut one wire at a time and finish it then start the next so you dont loose which one goes where .........just a hint if needed

·
Registered
464 Posts
i spent hours extending my wiring harness....just make sure to stagger them or you'll have a nice bulge.....also on my 4.7 after a 4" b/d i didn't have any problems...thats weird. good luck with it though.
i won't have any wiring problems in the near future...the 4.7 is comin out and something Mopar carb'd that lobes like a SOB is goin in....;-)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i wanted to change the motor in mine to sumthun that wasnt dependent on a bunch of wires. but i couldnt find anything that caught my eye at a good deal. and yeah the staggering of wires i know i have done alot of darn wires already. (moved the fuse box under hood to the inside under dash area) so i had to extend the wires that control motor,cruise,headlights, plus all the stuff with the alarm like the siren and they had a wire going to coil. so i had to extend it also. know all that is left is teh wiring harness for the gauge cluster which is simple compared to the other one. i actually started on it last night. but anyhoot i will take some pics and show where i mounted both fuse boxes and computer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yea take some pics when your done. I'm thinking about redoing mine. I moved everything into the wiper cowl in the little cubbie hole. It wasn't to bad. Just time consuming. I would like to make it a little more accessible though incase something happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts