Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idea im tossing around. People are always updating front ends, why not update the back end. Sorry for the ruff pic my ink cartridge is dying. 01 dakota with 07 bed. Think it will work???

Attachments

·
Admin .. Serious business
2,302 Posts
Would any of the body lines line up right? GenIV Dakotas have a flatter side compared to the more rounded side of the GenIII. Not only that I think the bedsides themselves are taller.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I don't know whether or not it would work, but it looks pretty fugly in that picture. Only differences to beds that I would make would be custom fenders for dual rear wheels-I love regular cab duallys, look awesome! I've seen one dakota that was a dually as well, and a Ford Excursion that was a dually and it looked sick! The dakota didn't look so hot if I remember correctly...also maybe a step side bed? I don't really like those beds but it's different than stock, just an idea. I can't really think of much else to do to a bed other than put some dumb looking tail lights that don't belong in them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Shave the tails and put in flush-mount LEDs.

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it does look a little funky with the sharp bodylines mixed with the smoother line of the 01. Oh well, thanx for the feedback.

·
223 Posts
Putting a 88-98 stepside bed on a 67-72 used to be real popular with the chevy guys (the late model bed is ~2-3 inches shorter on the bottom). It may be alot of work with body mounts and making actual dimensions look right. Pull it off and you will be talked about for generations to come.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i agree with costlydakota, maybe the taillights. But the body lines just dont look right to me from the gen3 to the gen4 beds

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think that would look pretty awesome (the qc bed on a regualr cab). But I also thik Caddy's would look sick in a gen 1 like mine. thats just my .02

·
Registered
464 Posts
i think thats first shaved tailights that kept both body lines there. That i've seen

As far as the Bed goes it would take a lot to make it work and look right. Look at what Totally polished had to do to get a new ram bed to work with a 94-02 Ram.

http://totallypolished.com/Bradkankles/index.html

·
Registered
213 Posts
i like the r/t anth the shaved lights but i think it would look better with some led strips, just my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
What do you think?

Thanks! I thought about led's, but decided to go with a more retro look. I originally thought of 70 Duster tails to keep it Mopar. But, the housings were too large. The 67-68 Firebird lights nicely with minor modification.

Pat

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't want the tailgate to be a huge flat expanse. I saw a couple pics of Daks done that way... didn't like it. So, extended the lines into the old tail light area.

Pat

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
245 Posts
I didn't want the tailgate to be a huge flat expanse. I saw a couple pics of Daks done that way... didn't like it. So, extended the lines into the old tail light area.

Pat
I like it a lot. It's very unique and I echo your sentiments on the completely smooth tailgate. Yours has some nice character to it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, nice job. We were thinking about doing something similar with the bodyline when we shave the taillights. But my taillights will be different. Glad to see someone else NOT using caddy's

1 - 20 of 31 Posts