Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Volant

Votes: 1 6.3%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know your guys opinion on cold air intakes. What is your favorite brand? Could I put one for a 4.7 on a 3.9?? I had one more crazy idea..think I could have an exhaust shop bend me one??? The only reason I even ask that is b/c my shit's bodydropped and nothing is stock anymore I'd rather not waste my time trying to fit intakes that are made for stock trucks =)

Thanks
Tony

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I custom built one for my 4.7. We had some 3" stainless exhaust tubing left over and I just cut the pieces and welded them together and put a K&N filter. For your 3.9, the 4.7 kits won't fit. However the 5.2 or 5.9 kits should fit. And yes you can have a muffler shop bend some pipe for your custom application. It should only be one bend. You will just have to get the rubber connectors which any hose shop should have. You can use the same stuff as used in turbo applications.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that's tight! Thank you. One question though, what did you do about the mass air flow sensor?? Isn't there a chip that comes along with all the aftermarket intakes??

·
Registered
180 Posts
im a cheapo and sent the $18 and got one off ebay... and there was no sensor on the stock stuff i removed so there was no need for one on tha aftermarket CAI. some ppl relocated their IAT sensor (i think its that one) to inside their intake. but the best mod by far i did for my 3.9 was a V8 TB for $50 it was a very noticable difference

·
Registered
36 Posts
my 2000 3.9 did not have mass air flow sensor, but i had some 4 inch stainless in my garage from my buddies ram disesel when we put his stacks on so i cut and welded a intake togther and it works good to this day. i used a stock 2000 5.9 r/t throttle body with great results. also check out krc performace for the mood you can do to advance the timing to get more ass out of your truck. i also used a aem air filter that i borrowed from my buddies civic (he still can't figure out what happened to his air filter)

·
Registered
867 Posts
i used some aluminum pieces from an intercooler install kit....its kinda like a mustangs....the filter is located inside the fender behind the headlight

·
Registered
3 Posts
I made my own from a 3.5" stainless steel exhaust bend and a K&N Air hat.

It's quickly becoming the most expensive homebrew ever built since this winter I sent the air hat in to get chromed and the tube ceramic coated. But it will look good! :)

·
Captain Cobalt
1,870 Posts
I am running an Airraid and a flowmaster 40 series muffler on my 01 4.7. I get more compliments on the sound of my truck than I do on the paint or the bags. As far as something custom I think as long as you have a tube and a filter your good.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i will be doing a custom intake in the spring with 3" pipe and im making a custom air box cause i have a ram air on my truck when its done ill post picks

·
Registered
213 Posts
From what ive been reading, am i understanding right that i can use an R/T's 5.9 throttle body on my 95 5.2?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just put a universal 10" air filter right on top of my throttle body. Just like you would put on a carb. Had to shorten it just a little to clear the hood for the bodydrop.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mines a hybrid LOL

K&N Hard top Air hat powdered Blue...

AEM polished tubing

Spetre Blue high flow bigmouth filter

AEM heat shield powdered blue....

Its different but it works....:)

(filter has changed to a blue one since this pic...)

·
Registered
213 Posts
come on guys i know one of yall have read the post i posted earlier, would a 5.9's throttle body work on my 5.2 for better performance??? and im not meaning to whore anyones post just wondering

·
Whore King
16,796 Posts
Sorry man never heard anyone doin it before,im sure u can make it work with a little customization.And my intake is custom made with autzones spectre stainless pipes n blue cone filter.

·
F**k It
45 Posts
Installed Ram Air

hey hey yall. I got a ? . I got a ram air (spectre filter) on a 99 sport 3.9L. Heres my ? , when I installed it i kno i should have gotten some type of improvement in gas, however i have not seen that. i have also not seen a Mass Air Flow Sensor so how do i know the computer even knows its there to utilize. do i need to disconnect the negitive cable to the battery or what . any ideas?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Most people Homebrew them for the 4.7Ls since there is really no point in buying one for $200-300. Out of all the systems I've seen however for purchase. AFE has the best setup. There system is closer to the aera where the factory system pulls air from. About 90% of the CAI on the market pull hot engine bay air. Though the coolest air would come from the location the factory pulls from ie your fender.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts