Dodge Dakota Forum : Custom Dakota Truck Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and just bought a 97 Dakota sport with a V6 and only 20K miles. What kind of bolt on performance mods can I make that are reasonably priced and are basic bolt ons? I don't want anything radical just a little more performance. Thanks

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
There is really not alot of power to squeeze out of a 3.9 with just the basic bolt ons, but there will be some improvement.....

your normal intake and exhaust.... most of the air intakes for the 5.2 and 5.9 V8's will fit on your 3.9. For the exhaust it seems straight through style mufflers sound the best on the V6.

A stock V8 TB will bolt right on with the help of the V8 throttle cable,

A superchips tuner is also a good one, you can find them used for about 200-250

Also stay away from anything from Jet

·
Registered
493 Posts
No superchips for the 97s, I know. Here's what I have on my 97 and it netted me 220hp and 243tq at the flywheel:

Airaid Cold Air Intake w/ K&N Filter
Relocated IAT Sensor
Jet Stage II Chip
V8 Throttle Body
Magna Flow Muffler
19lb 4 hole Injectors
Royal Purple 10W-30 Oil
K&N Gold Oil Filter

I personally wouldn't wast my money on the Jet chip, I got mine cheap so that's why I have it but if ya can't find one used don't pay $300 for a new one, better to get you pcm flashed instead. Also I would recommend a set of 1.6 or 1.7 Roller Rockers and if you have time take your intake off and bore the throttle body holes out to match the V8 throttle body. You could do a set of Headers if you would like and remove the clutch fan and replace it w/ a electric fan and do a set of underdrive pullies and you could get probally 230-250hp.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think the computers are different. See I'm curious if it would work on mine cause when the dealer replaced my motor they flashed my pcm to 02 specs but I'm scared of messin' the pcm up if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
332 Posts
well they don't make them for the 04 4.7 either!!

·
Cash King
457 Posts
i did all those bolt on my 3.9 and i love it

·
Registered
100 Posts
So i have been snooping around on so cal dakotas and seen some stuff for the 3.9. is it worth it to put on better cylinder heads and turbo with all the other mods that have been said. I have a 1998 V6 club cab dakota and it has become my project truck. not much done yet. but i do see i sweet ride in the future. i was just wondering if it was worth it to buy a so cal dakota v6 with all the goodies because mine has about 76K. Or should i just buy the 5.2 and drop it in there. the v8 is cheaper and this is a long block we are talking here. opposed to a hiped up drop in V6 i would like all of your guys opinions. thank you.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Unless you want to be different and build a V6, I would just swap in a V8. You'll never get as much power out of that V6 as you can out of the 8, and you'll start off with more power doing the V8 swap then you would by putting on most of the stuff you listed for the V6

·
Registered
100 Posts
thanks everyone. i guess i will have to see what comes along. i really like the sound of putting a V8 in but bolting right up to the stock brackets. How easy is it to do a V8 swap like what are the parts and that i would have to buy or fabricate.

·
Gen2 help hotline
5,611 Posts
so there is no engine mount modifications. So kinda an average what would it cost to bolt up a v8 not the engine but everything else.
there are no mount mods. you jkust have to swap out the v6 mounts for the v8 ones. you will need a larger radiator also. shit im putting a 440 in my truck in a couple years when im done building the frame.

·
Cash King
457 Posts
if your goin with the v8 go with the 5.9 more power

1 - 20 of 32 Posts