Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is I have two dakotas one has a one piece drive shaft and one has a two piece shaft. Which would work better with a air bag system. The two piece I think would work well because of the multiple angles. But the one piece is aluminum and I can polish it for show.

·
Whisper'sR/T
1,284 Posts
Not sure about our Dakotas, but when we just bagged my buddies Sdime, he went with the one peice shaft because he said the two peice would kinda kink up.

And just so ya know, if you pollish that shaft, you'll need to be under there like every other day you drive it to keep it looking nice... A guy on DUSA did that and just gave up on it after 2 weeks! lol

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
well i know on the QC daks the two piece doesnt have as much clearance problems with the cab as the one piece does, so i guess the two piece would be better.

·
223 Posts
lowqcdak went with a two piece because the 1 piece would have hit the cab. He had a quad cab 4.7 auto. I had a two piece on my quad cab as all 4.7 5 speeds. You may have to notch the back of your cab, and maybe clearence your tank crossmember. If you can fab the carrier crossmember then I'd go with the two piece, but ultimately it is your choice and they both have the same result.

·
Super Mod
13,312 Posts
lowqcdak went with a two piece because the 1 piece would have hit the cab. He had a quad cab 4.7 auto. I had a two piece on my quad cab as all 4.7 5 speeds. You may have to notch the back of your cab, and maybe clearence your tank crossmember. If you can fab the carrier crossmember then I'd go with the two piece, but ultimately it is your choice and they both have the same result.
is it possible to switch drive shafts realitivly easy?? is it just a bolt in, or would there need to be modding involved? Do you have any more info on switching out drive shafts:confused:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I think if you got a driveshaft from another automatic 4.7 quad cab it would bolt right in, i'm not sure if the manual tranny is longer or shorter than the auto...it may not bolt right in. You could just keep your 1 piece and notch the cab, or have a 2 piece made for your truck by a shop.

·
223 Posts
The manual is shorter than the auto hence the need for a two piece (a longer) driveshaft. I believe the two piece also has an extra crossmember for the carrier bearing. I can only be sure of the manual with 2 piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts