Dodge Dakota Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a lot of talk about how the 3.9 is one of the fastest V6 trucks out there. Also I've heard 3.9's can beat V6 stang's.

If we can, then how do I get my 3.9 to beat those stupid for stang's and lightenings?

I have already put on a Gibson Dual Rear Performance Exhaust, K&N Air Filter (not an intake yet :( ), and new Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the gm 4.3 vortech v6 from gm is more powerfull than the dodge 3.9, I know i got stomped by a 91 s-10 with the 4.3 bone stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ran those plug before and it made my truck run lean, The dealer recomends cheap ass champion truck plugs for the v6, not sure about the v8's though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I beat a ranger with exhaust, intake, rims,lighting body graphics and ummm a face ram air hood in my stock dakota :-D

·
Registered
2 Posts
My v6 02 CC weighs 4000lbs. I bet if it weighed the same as the s-10, we'd fight it out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also ran the Bosch platinum 4's it didn't lean out my truck, but they don't even perform as good as the cheap champions it had in ther from the factory, every oon ei talk to recomends the autolite 3923 or 24's i bout the performance version of those wich is the APP5224's they are like 5 bucks a piece though, i have not put them in yet, but they should be good, Autolites, and NGK are the best plugs as far as i am concerned, worked with both for several years. And as for the 3.9 vs the 4.3 stock fellows, we dont have a chance. they are rated at 190 hp we are at 175 but i am fixing to fix that...lots of stuff will get put on when i get back from Iraq..If you need any ideas, ask and i will let you know what i got, there are too many to list here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 04 QC 3.7L auto with an intake and a flowmaster w/ turndown and I raced against a buddies 02 Silverado SC with the 4.3L 5 spd mods are just a flowmaster cat back exhaust and I spanked him

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to be able to stomp alot of trucks with my 3.9....that was before I put these gigantic heavy steel rims on...which killed it's acceleration. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've never lost to an S-10 before, with a completly stock 3.9. I've raced probably 10 total, and always beat 'em. The the automatics hang pretty close, but they hit that 94 mph rev limiter and thats it, I'm gone. I haven't raced anything since I put in the new 3.9 and the shift kit. Oh yeah, it's a 93 ex-cab automatic.

·
Smurf
263 Posts
ok folks here we go if you want the best spark plugs stay away from the splitfires and the platnum 4's i found out the hard way those plugs produce so much spark that you accually waste some of the gas in the cylander because it vaporzes right off the bat and dosent explode like it is supposed to thus creating a lack of power and lost gas that blows out the exhaust vaulve without ever ignighting now in these days of $3.50 per gallon most of us cannot afford to waste that much
i have found out the best way to do it is to spend the extra up front and get a proformance ignition system with one stem platnum plugs and bigger plug wires for less resistance and you can maximize your proformance and fuel

and on another note those of you who have never lost in any race ever in your lives with nothing under the hood but what the factory issued you need to quit trying to race grandmas grocery getters on the way home from the office and get out there with the real boys with real toys and play

·
Registered
30 Posts
lol i agree with bubba because if are you just racing stock and beating some of the trucks listed they must have been a family man with groceries in the bed driving home the same way you wanted to race lol. But i have raced myh friends 98 ranger flare side (its just a four banger though) And Stomped it, and also my friends Tacoma(and won) but I am not racing stock :)

·
Smurf
263 Posts
let me be the first person to accually answer your ? with the 3.9 and some good driving you can beat alot of vehicles you are not gonna be runnin with the r/t's lightnings or ss chevys but you can run with most even weighted cars and trucks that arent reall heavely moded
i dont give a damn what they say there are trucks out there you wont beat with out modin the motor a decent ammount as long as you know that you can beat ne thing you want to within reason.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i had a 3.9 in my 97 w/5speed standard cab i never had a prblem with any other v6 vehichle at all i shit all over 4.3 s10 bone stock if you wanna notice a difference take off that stupid ass intake and throw a carb screw down casing over that tb you got with a [email protected] style filter buy a fire ball or msd ignition system andvance your base timg like a degree and as half take off that stupid clutch fan throw in an elctric fan from like a 95 camaro and wire it up with a coolent switch and relay you can get it from and parts store and the fan from like a junk yard for cheap id tell you to buy a cam but i could only find one copany that made it and there out of buisnees now ( i had It it was asome) the company name was jts cams you could buy it throught crane cams like 3 years ago v6 mopar headers i had most of this stuff done and more and i could stick close to 5.0 foxbodies from a rolling start but stand still i one wheel wonder went crazy

·
Registered
361 Posts
i dont agree with the things that bubba says the platinum plugs are designed to create more spark for less fowling and less chance of a miss and in the other aspect last longer than the normal plu there 100 k mile plugs the assumtion that a plug would create so much heat that it would burn the gas to fast is rediculus if the gas is burning to fast you would crate a lean condition and your car would ping with that in mind all you would have to do is us a higher octane the higher the octane the slower the fuel burns and if the idiot who sold you those plugs was smart enough he would have read the foot notes in the computer where is said that the p4 is too hot of a plug and in most cases creates a burned crater in the piston and bosch only recamends that you use the p2 not the p4 the other diss agreement is the fact that a r/t and a sschevy are faster than v6 dakotas i highly dissagree i raced at racewaypark/englishtown a 99 ext cab r/t with my 97 v63.95speed him stock me decent amount of work he ran a 16.1 i ran a 15.1 spinning the shit out of 1st and 2nd the ss chevy is only clocked at like a 16.5 r/t dakota rated at 250 hp i ran my v6 on the dyno and got better than that at the wheels with a cam bigger injectors a v8tb a fireball ign.. centerforce duall friction clutch gutted cat no fan clutch headers cut out the stock muffler and welded in a 2chamber flowmaster and a carb filter not an airbox and advanced my base timing almost 2 degrees oh and i took off my heads and had them ported polished and new valves angles ground

·
Smurf
263 Posts
i agree with auto on one thing the ss and the v-6 may have runslower than the 3.9 that night but based on driver knoledge and how good a driver you can loose to a neon with and r/t if you suck the driver plays alarge part in how fast a vehicle can get down a track you can take 10 drivers in the same truck on the same track and in one night due to changes in the atmosphere and the driveers and never run the same et down the track based on ability of the driver and atmospheric conditions at the time of the run

·
Smurf
263 Posts
and power out of the motor if done correctly and moded you can put out over 1000 horses on a 3.9 and yeah i can say that over a stock motor or slightly moded motor that will stomp the shit out of it

·
Registered
5 Posts
i beat a 90 nissan 240sx with my 3.9 bone stock until i put the Bosch platinum 4's in after that i could hardly beat the over night delivery guy at the local parts house

·
Registered
15 Posts
i raced my friends 89 2.9 ranger with my 87 dakota and it was close but took in in the long run it was fun be he was so sure he could beat me good times

1 - 20 of 30 Posts